• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller_

@ScottScott, the main things I think caused the crash:

1. Butt dragging behind, didn't have hips up.

2. Arms away from body and chest high, instead of lower and on the hips.

3. Leading with shoulders first.

4. Riding a flat ski into the wake, instead of leaning away from the boat with ski on edge.

There was probably more that happened before the video started to put the skier into this bad position, but I wouldn't speculate as to what it was.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Back when I was much younger and much more stupid a friend and I took two very attractive girls out on a public lake. Massive rollers and boat traffic but darn it I was going to ski and make big spray.

Right after the driver pulled me up I realized I needed to shove one foot deeper into a rubber binding so I jumped up on the ski and tried ram my foot deeper.

Unfortunately when I came down I completely buried the tip (like this guy) and took the hardest fall I've ever taken in my life. At full speed right behind the boat in the hard white water. As the driver came around to pick me up the girls said "yeah it looks like we need to take you home and we'll just go out solo with your friend". And thats what happened.

• Baller

Some of the worst crashes used to be on shoe skis. Even though you aren't moving all

that fast, you can splat barely before you can shut your eyelids. Yes can be worse than

barefooting falls, since you can sense with your feet what is going to happen in a few

milliseconds ahead.

It really is very hard not to laugh. Immediately when you see the jumper hanging up there with all that time you know he's thinkin ..... this ain't gonna end well! I suspect that I may have seen the hardest, most violent slalom fall that did not end in death when I was driving for my ski partner and he was free skiing in the spring about 10 years ago.

He was going full tilt boogie after about 5 really hard turns on short line and was just exiting the wake when he hit a dead head about 20 feet long, half submerged laying right across his path. I had not seen it and had driven right along side it about 4 feet from my boat. His ski skipped right over it but when the fin hit the log it drove the tip into the water. He smacked the water so hard that his first bounce was about 6 feet in the air. He told us after that he not only had time while he was airborne to get over the shock and wonder what the hell happened but he could even look around before the second impact which was followed by a third and then a tumble. We still laugh at the first words out of his mouth when he climbed onto the swim grid cause he repeated them at least four times. He said ... jesus guys, that really hurt you know! NO KIDDING!

Im very familiar with OTF's I take a few a week. The worst ever was April 2015 Skiing for @lakeaustinskier Driving test for Assistant Driver. My first set on a used Goode Nano Twist ski with an Interlock plate. I had pulled the plate off to look at the way the boots were mounted on the plate and didnt know how to reattach the interlock and just push it on with my hand and foot. My first cut at the gates the plate came off and caught the front edge of the interlock plate- my head slammed into the water so hard and my legs bent over my head and my back locked up. had to be rescued and floated back to the swim step. Jokingly they told @lakeaustinskier "You hurt your skier You FAIL"

• Baller

If I took a few OTFs a week, I'd find another sport. I take a couple a year and that's enough for me.

I do wish we had a camera in the boat on my worst ever. Entering the course, blinding sun and glare in my face. Way, way late. Bad form entering course and hooked the left gate ball. Ski stopped, I didn't. People on shore said it looked like I skied over a WWII era anti-ship mine. I'm told my ski did about 5 flips in the air before it landed about 20 yards from where I eventually surfaced.

@MISkier yep that is Bennetts for ya! lol. @MattP and @UWSkier Yes a few a week. Always had a saying since I was a kid "if your not crashing sometimes your not pushing hard enough" Only 4th season competing and increased Tournament PB from 4@32' in 2014, 1@35' in 2015 (injured after first tournament) to 2.5@38' in 2016. Im finally to the point of Technic that I dont try to hold on to every thing in practice.