Oldest pic of you skiing

• Baller

Post the oldest pic you have or can easily find of you waterskiing. People can earn bonus points for identifying the old gear if they can.

Here I am, probably not long after Dad bought us this ski from Wileys. I picked it out. (Ha! Arms in, pull! Tail ride that thing!) Circa 1980.

uv2tfdhiww6n.jpg

Ok, you go.

• Baller

Lake Wallenpaupack March 1978, Tech-1. There was still ice along the edges and it started to snow while I was skiing. There was about 3 inches of fluffy snow on the ground before we got the boat on the trailer. I discovered it's much nicer to head south in the spring.

ee8znlvg5hmz.jpg

• Baller

Ok, someone needs to try to guess at my ski. It was a well known ski in that era, but a little different look than most think of when thinking of the ski.

I am loving these shots! Lots of guys around my age apparently, and quite a few from my former, and current neck of the woods. @skibrain I particularly love that O'Brien. And @lundberg , for all I know, I could have been out on that lake on the same day behind my buddie's Bayliner. Loving all the kid skier pics too.

• Baller
@skibrain , yeah the scan of the old yellow pic is throwing it off. It is a 1980 Kidder Redline with a kinda pale blue bottom. Typical red in the design on top that eveyone remembers was orange. So orange, blue, yellow on black. My brother still has that ski, though no one skis on it now.

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw yes we mixed the fuel too. To this day that smell brings back so many incredible memories. We actually completely wore that engine out. I think the old man rebuilt it two times then we replaced it with a 150 Evenrude with oil injection no mixing but no fantastic smell on start up either... simpler times.

"Do Better..."

• Baller

1973 "Mike Suyderhoud " Western Wood" Mach 3, Connelly white smooth foam vest. Bought with money made from my summer job. First $'s of thousands that I've spent enjoying the sport and supporting the industry.ahdjwf03u00s.png

• Baller_

@B_S, that is an awesome picture. So many things stand out. First, neither you nor the ski are predominantly in/on the water. Second, the tow rope and handle are nowhere in sight, seemingly as though you achieved that feat without motorized assistance. Third, there is nothing else in the shot other than nature, perfectly framing you alone in the grey. Your form is excellent and it even looks like the ski ejected you as a raging bull throws the rider.

Great shot.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Thanks @MISkier. My buddy had a great eye and timing for action photos. Even though it was over 30 years ago, I still remember a bit. I got bent coming out of the previous turn, and was hanging on for dear life as I rocketed across that big wake. I thought I had pulled it out after making it over that, but I must have caught the tip after landing (no way to not catch air on that monster). I just remember being airborne for so long that I was actually able to think to myself, wow I'm really flying a long way. Then came what felt like at least 5 or 6 somersaults over the water. It didn't hurt, but I sure was dizzy! That was an awesome day, as the cool, dreary weather meant we had a calm, 1800 acre lake to ourselves.