How to attach shock cord to pseudo spongex bouys?

EFW

• Baller

Paid $9 a bouy w/free shipping. They are 5" across so a little small but before I run down to the hardware store and rig something to attach the bungee do you guys have a tried and true method? (nothing but a hollow center hole top to bottom)

Thanks

• Baller
When I used this type of buoy we would fid a loop on the end of a short piece of poly rope, slide the loop about 3 inches into the hole in the bottom of the buoy, then push a galvanized heavy nail through the spongex and throup the loop. Use a nail not long enough to stick out the other side when the head is pushed flush. Quick n simple.

• Baller
We used PVC pipe caps- drill a hole, thread a rope loop through the cap, tie a large enough knot that it will stay, goop the cap up with epoxy, and push it in. The correct pipe cap will take enough effort to push in that it might stay with friction, but the epoxy keeps them in. Ours lasted for years without a failure, while the ones with nails sometimes worked loose over time.

• Baller

I use those style buoys for boat guides on my course.

I go to the hardware store and get 3/4" PCV and epoxy. Lather up the pipe with epoxy and slide it into the hole of the buoy. Then after it drys cut it to the desired length and drill a hole in the end of the PVC.

I hate the ones with metal in them. I always take the metal out and replace it with some PVC.

• Baller

Glad to find this thread...1 month ago I installed a public course in Charleston SC and I’ve lost 12 bouys to gators (or maybe one gator w a taste for polyform bouys). Tried shooting GreatStuff foam into the punctured bouys w very limited success....the foam slowly soaks up water and bouys eventually sink anyway. So I purchased foam bullet bouys and will give them a try. Was wondering how I’d attach but the PVC/epoxy sounds good.

rve26cm86vg3.jpeg

54t1cmizdxsd.jpeg

• Baller

I use galvanized nails, plastic chain (3 links per buoy), and bungee cord with a plastic hook.

Works perfect, is durable and installed in minutes.

uvvhuhmj0bmp.jpeg

Measure where to put the nail, depending on how thick your buoy is (obviously it should not stick out the other side), push nail in an inch or so from one side, try to keep it horizontal and centered, insert chain links in buoy and push the nail in further. It obviously needs to catch the chain inside. Push it in completely and give it a tap with a hammer so the head disappears into the foam. Attach bungee and hook. Done.

6bel2yooiv52.jpeg

0wzkkknc3btw.jpeg

lyufwx6pumgg.jpeg

ki9b3t8s7hez.jpeg

bo766vb4wic6.jpeg

• Baller

Galvanized nails can leave a nasty gash in a boat hull if they work their way out even a little bit. Instead, we've always used a 4 1/2-inch piece of fiberglass driveway marker rod. Available at Lowe's, Menard's, home Depot, etc. Cut to length with a chopsaw, bandsaw, or hacksaw - then drill a 1/4-inch diameter starter hole in the same place you would have put the nail.

Also, since plastic chain is so cheap, leave an extra half-dozen links below the buoy for a very easy way to adjust the buoy's depth to exactly what you prefer.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-48-in-x-0-375-in-Reflective-Rod/3027086

• Baller
@mwetskier Bet you could run that rod in with a drill and then cut it off flush. With the nail if predrilled a bit of a recess for the head of it you could put a blob of silicone in that hole and then push the nail into it and it should stick.

• Baller

@lpskier Yep secluded freshwater. Pic below.

@adamhcaldwell Thanks for offer. With 4 skiers in the family, TL would be a bit spendy. We enjoy just being on the water and taking turns...despite the course maintenance involved. Conversely, if you have skiers that want low-cost, relaxed access to a course...let me know.

@DavidN Thanks for the pictorial....simple and effective....Nice!

bh73p4maqr3r.jpeg

• Baller
@H2Oski17 is that public water? Looks nice, we ski on public water in Alabama. I get to Charleston every so often and usually drop by Trophy to ski. @DavidN has the right idea.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@mmosley899 About 15 yrs ago I skied a course in AL just S of Maxwell AFB. It was convenient but after rain the runoff from I-69 would really trash up the water. If you get to Charleston let me know. Pic is from yesterday. The new foam bouys should dress up the course nicely...The Clorox jugs are kind of Frankenstein but functional for now. It’s a stainless Accufloat ML w pregates.

eujzi8cm02eh.jpeg

• Baller

I modified the skier2skier approach by using;

4mm dinghy line (32” section)

1/4 nylon thimble with ears

3” diameter cap cut out of 1/4” starboard

I bought a sheet of starboard and cut out the disks using a hole saw drill bit, and then used a router to take the top edge of.

Tie a barrel knot in the line after threading it through the thimble, tighten it up and pass the free end up through the buoy.

We do put zip ties in the bottom for the metal clips to connect to.

8v18vso5pl4v.jpeg

160q9ymjqapk.jpeg

qmxhqgjqgpmh.jpeg

ufbp8msa12oy.jpeg