Navigation lights for Carbon Pro

Anderson

• Baller

A couple months back I picked up a 2015 Carbon Pro for a screaming deal. It had 1 hour on the engine and the discount off of retail made me glad I was the first guy to call the Tracker dealership in Houston (thanks @AndersonSkiTeam for the heads up). It certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the big three boats, but as many others have mentioned on this site, it gives a nice pull. One of the features my boat is missing is nav lights. I have to admit I didn't notice until driving back to the dock at night on my local public lake. I thought I'd just live with it but to certify my boat for our club site I have to have nav lights. Any suggestions on after market solutions? I found navisafe navilights -- not sure if anyone has used these. Any advice very much appreciated.

• Baller

Congrats on an awesome boat. I'd be shocked if there are no lights. In fact, I checked the build sheet on my 2016. There is a no cost line item for navigation lights (91A). Can't imagine they would build one without them.

One potential source of confusion is that the plug for the white light is up by the glove box. I think based on length they aren't required to put it all the way at the stern. I seem to remember my Supra Comp was the same.

If there really are no lights l think overtons used to sell so kind of flashlight that could be mounted to the bow with suction cups. Surely there is a more elegant way but you'd be drilling and running wires.

I was amazed to discover our Carbon Pro didn't have them either and would love to find an after market product that worked off batteries or had a cigarette lighter plug. I'm not really interested in drilling holes in my boat either for the one time a year I might need these lights.

I ordered a 2013 Carbon Pro and yes the navigation lights were a $250 option. Also no fire extinguisher was supplied with the boat. I can take pictures of where mine are located and the switch position on the dash. Please PM me.

• Baller
I too was shocked that @blinddog 's boat had no navigation lights. @dancin said they are an option. I was under the impression that lights are Coast Guard required equipment, and thus would be mandatory equipment on all powered boats. Around here if you're pulled over for a "courtesy check" you'll get sighted for no lights even if you say you only operate in daylight. Surprised they did put in a blower though.

• Baller

I'd just pick up a standard perko bow light and rear socket/ pole. Won't take much to wire them in. Be interesting to look if they put the wires in or not from factory. That is bizarre that they cut a corner like that on uscg required equipment.

Should cost under $100 for everything you need.

I just bought both the nav light and stern light from Wholesale Marine, should have them in a few days. Both work off batteries and have suction cups, so no drilling, wiring, etc., just need to keep 8 AA batteries in the boat for backup. I'll let you know how they look/work once I get them. I know I will rarely if ever need them, but for $19.95 each, it's nice to at least have a set in case I do.

• Baller
Awesome feedback, guys! I really appreciate the help. It was surprising for sure not to have any lights -- after looking around for where they might be I did a quick forum search and realized I wasn't the first guy to be surprised by this design/build choice. I hope everyone is have a great season on the water.

• Baller

Guess that really is designed to be a private lake slalom tug.

On a warm summer night, there's not much better than a idle-speed booze cruise around the lake on our inland public water around here. That's probably 1/8th of our hours.

• Baller
@swc5150 - what are the chances that someone would even notice the need to order nav lights? But to me it is like cleats, don't understand boats without them or why they are even options - especially for promos who want an easily resalable boat.

• Baller
Very unusual to see a CP without lights but it can be ordered that way. The dealer ordered that particular boat and either overlooked it or planned to sell it to a private slalom Lake user in the area. @Anderson you got a heck of a deal, enjoy!

Actually I think most of the Carbon Pros do not have lights. It's funny because the ballast tank is standard (a great feature!), but nav lights aren't. Anyway, I got the lights I ordered from Wholesale Marine, here they are. The packages say for boats with max speed of 8 mph. Not sure if that is just a suggestion since they are held down by suction cups. j4wremjbhk37.jpg

j76nxh3pb02d.jpg

nzdu6o6uhubl.jpg

• Baller

@blinddog - not sure that rear light is tall enough to be legal

•An all-round white light (if vessel is less than 39.4 feet long) or both a masthead light and a sternlight. These lights must be visible from a distance of at least two miles away on a dark, clear night. The all-round white light (or the masthead light) must be at least 3.3 feet (one meter) higher than the sidelights.

That is why the white light is always on a pole or tower mounted