Alberta lake life

pgmoore

• Supporting Member

@Texas6 Sure: One reason the sky appears blue-ish is that lower energy waves lengths of light, such as green, yellow, and red, are deflected away by the atmosphere.

If all wavelengths were present, we'd see white. When the green-red band is reduced, we see light blue.

Light heading toward the poles hits the atmosphere at a shallower angle, and thus an even high percentage of those wave lengths get reflected. If all of that band were to be reflected, our eyes see bright, pure blue.

So near the equator the sky leans a little more toward white and near the poles more toward blue.

(There may be other things at work, but that's at least one of the factors.)

• Baller
@Justin @Billbert, Grew up skiing on isle, actually learned there, My family had a cabin there for about 18 years. Slowly stopped using after the weed cutting by law around 2000ish? Bought a new 08 vtx and went out for a cruise in mid summer. When it took 2 hrs to clean my boat I haven't been back. Tons of awesome memories and always some calm water to be found around the islands. Have since moved to gull, more people and harder to find good water, but with a good buddy like @schafer just 5 min away there is always good potential!

• Baller

@DmaxJC_ski My inlaws have a place on Gull. I have never had much luck finding good water but I have spent far less time there. Isle's water quality has been much better the last few years (knock on wood and don't tell anyone as more often than not we have it pretty much to ourselves) and it often seams like you can find good water on demand with all the shelter offered by the islands. Used to have a hard time keeping the old boat clean but after we bought our VTX, I discovered a thorough waxing at the start of the year goes along way to keeping it clean. It gets wiped down on the lift regularly after that and I have found that keeps it pretty clean.....and I am a bit anal when it comes to my boat.

I learned to ski in northern Saskatchewan where the water is crystal clear so adjustment to central Alberta water took awhile. Long story short I have traded some water quality for convenience with my cabin located less than an hour from my house.....I often mange to get out a couple evenings during the week to ski.

And yes after yesterday I need to get out and check on our dock and lift as well. Yesterday was an interesting weather day!

• Baller
@Justin I figured you were the one responsible for the course. Let me know if you ever need any help with it. We are out there most weekends and I'm always willing to lend a hand. We almost exclusively free ski but there has been talk of attempting the course on a more regular basis but have always been hesitant to play in a course that someone else has gone though the effort of installing and maintaining without permission......that and I'm a hack so its a good excuse not to be humbled the course.

• Baller

@schafer I actually drove by Lacombe a couple times this week. Maybe next time I will see if you're around to "break up the trip"

Same goes for anyone close to Medicine Hat. Hoping to put our course in this weekend.

• Baller

The lake has definitely changed for the better last few years. We try to keep it a secret.

@Billbert the course is fair game, we used to battle with people in the early 90's but have found letting the jet skiers and fisherman use the area and make friends with them has meant less maintenance! We have the rec buoys out as well, great learning tool. Enjoy it!

Not many slalom skiers around our area.

• Baller

Thanks @justin If you see someone behind a white black and blue response or trying to wedge an orange, white and black VTX through your course thats us, come say Hi.

Regarding the state of the lake our groups running joke is that when anyone asks where we ski the immediate answer is Wabuman, no one in their right mind would go to Isle.

• Baller

Last summer my buddy and I ran around Sylvan on a pair of seadoo's and I was looking for a course everywhere......................no luck unless someone changed it this year?

Think Spruce View used to have a course somewhere just west of Sylvan? Then again you'd need to do more research.

@schafer, Nice looking setup. Are you across highway 2 from Barnett Lake? I have been scoping that lake for years and noticed a course on it a couple years ago. You been skiing there long? I'm on a lake up near Sherwood Park, similar setup to yours there.

• Baller

FSSPCat, most mornings until 10ish. But the last few weekends its been amazing. Feel free to hit me up and stop by for a pull and a cold one, I'm across the lake from Hwy 3 when just entering the town from the east.