Anyone had their first crash of the season yet?

• Baller

Thought I broke a rib already =P

I also have a new gopro hero 5. Noticing some of the same problems in your video I was having (looking like a dark block on the end of a rope).

Been working on the right settings to get good skiing video from the wakeye at 15' off. Getting closer, but still need a few tweaks. I will share my best settings when I get it more dialed in (hopefully minimal post-processing).

• Baller
Anybody dislocate your collar bone at the sternum? Not a full dislocation but popped out and back in. Did it about 4 weeks ago on a deep water start. I skied a few times since but I've been very cautious about taking slack hits and taking it easy getting up. Its been a real pain in the neck literally. @6balls my first impulse is to give your post a Thumbs down, man that sucks.

• Baller
@303Skier, same injury for me with an OTF when I ran over 6 ball (should have pulled up after 5!). Fractured sternum and lots of torn cartilage. Did not ski for over 4 months and still not back anywhere near where I was.

• Baller
@Than_Bogan I need to stop reading this stuff, I never worried about injury until I came here and saw all the Achilles injuries...now I am worried about ripping my sternum in half! It does explain why I need to 'pop' my sternum all the time though :)

• Baller

Update on the Reflex spring breaking 2 weeks ago today, thought I was lucky not to break anything although I did twist my knee, neck, abs, groin and shoulder, possibly the worst crash in my history.

New spring fitted and I am back on the water it took a couple of sets to get my confidence back but the worst part is I seem to have lost a lot of strength and balance and although I am running passes they don't feel right.

I have dropped my speed to 32mph to try to get some consistency and although it seems to be working it has put me in two minds whether to stick at 32mph for the rest of the season as I am 65 and will be doing ranking competitions at this speed but I really wanted to do more at 34mph this year.

• Baller
Anyone else done any ear drum damage? I would have thought our sport would be a prime candidate for it. I did some damage surfing way back when and for that reason wear a Gath helmet skiing (despite how uncool it looks). Apart from my ski partner who has ear probs as well I've never seen anyone else wearing one.

• Baller

Helmets are awesome- pretty well everyone in our ski group - four guys- wears a helmet

Solves many problems - ear issues, head through the handle issue, helps with concussion etc. We all enjoy wearing helmets and are confused why it isnt standard in skiing.

• Baller

The on topic part, my crash (and way worse skiing than you guys):

Slightly off topic, WGT the gopro. I think the video looks a tad better than my initial videos. I did a progressive zoom in this video to get an idea. I go the highest resolution that is allowed for the framerate I feel like I need. Even 30fps seems good enough so most slow motion I need to do, but still figuring that out

GoPro Hero 5 settings:

4k video (just allows me to zoom when I want to, and I don't need real high framerate)

Color: Flat (adjust slightly in post, but I'm terrible at it)

ISO: 400

Sharpness: Low

White balance: Native

Exposure: -1

• Baller

@obeienslalom I wouldn't say way worse skiing didn't you see @pacman couldn't even make one wake crossing :D just kidding I was in the boat for that one!

What FOV is your GoPro set to? We just got one, a hero 4, and the video comes out with more zoom to start when the FOV is narrow.

• Baller
I am about the LAST person to give skiing advice on this board...but if you 'pull' a little longer to second wake, you will notice a huge improvement. Pull to second wake, trust the glide. I repeat those words that were given to me by @Brooksy30 everytime I ski...now if I can just get my body to LISTEN!

• Baller

@ShererSkier My understanding of the FOV is that it actually shoots in a higher resolution, and then essentially zooms/crops before writing the frames. For that reason, you can't do narrow FOV on the higher resolution (in my video I had it on 4k). But, it will let me zoom in post, which I did a bit...

@"Keith Menard" Thanks for the advice. I certainly see the same thing when I watch the videos, and the reason I have to film myself. Until this season, I was skiing behind a SeaRay, so I still have a tendency to decelerate approaching and going through the wakes. Really trying to stop those instincts. The video shows what happens when I panic about the speed, stand up and flatten out right before the wakes. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Thanks for offering help, I do appreciate it.