Recommendations for Ski Books and Documentaries

Hey!

Just got back from a ski training trip in SC and I'm hooked. Being a novice, I have a lot of questions about my technique, equipment, mindset and so on. While off the water, I'd like to keep my mind sharp and engulfed in skiing. Are there any particular books or documentaries that every skier should read or watch? Any books out there about the origin stories for the ski manufacturing and boating industries - aside from the Wiki articles?

I've subscribed to Waterski Mag, will be purchasing The Fin Whisperer shortly, and pretty much followed the entire ski industry on Instagram.

Best,

Dan

P.S. - I'm always game to meet up with some IL, IN and WI skiers.

• Baller_

@raynard_io under the "Home" tab, scroll to "tech" and you will have more information than you can absorb in several years. IMO, that very long list of articles is the single best slalom resource on the planet. (@Horton, you're welcome)

Finwhispering is an awesome book and resource, but for where you are, you will be better off focusing on technique and theory.

P.S.- always great to see another slalom addict :)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Books? What are books? Just kidding. Ben's book noted above is pretty good.

DVD/VHS Videos -

Slalom with Andy Mapple

Shortline with Drew Ross

12 Slalom Drills-Rathbun

(There was a lot of discussion about the West Coast video, but before you consider that one, please see the video link below.)

On-line Videos:

+1 for Seth Drills & Terry Winter videos

Here's a BOS thread on videos, too: < Link >

IMHO, if you are just starting out, my most concise advise would be this: Learn how to stand tall and stacked on your ski first and foremost.

We call this our "Stack". Then, never do any action in which you cannot stay stacked. If an action breaks your stack, you are either performing it wrong, or too hard, or above your ability/skill/strength. Stay within your stack ability. Skiers who start chasing buoys before solidifying their stack will have some initial progress, but will hit a very tall brick wall and spend several years trying to scale it.

Stack before buoys is a critical step on the path to short line skills.

• Baller

Anyone know of a book or movie kind of like Dogtown and Z-Boys for skateboarding, or Fat Tire Flyer for mountain biking? One that covers the history in pictures and/or film? It seems like there could be so much there. I do not know if it has been done.

It seems like the OP is interested in this kind of origin thing as well as current technique and tips. As am I. :)

@raynard_io Regarding your mindset question, these are the books that I would say have had the biggest direct impact on my skiing.

What to Say When you Talk to Yourself by Shad Helmstetter

Outliers by Malcom Gladwell

The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallwey

Burn Your Goals by Joshua Medcalf and Jamie Gilbert

Chop Wood Carry Water by Joshua Medcalf

Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Toughness by Jay Bilas

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

@sunvalleylaw I agree. After reading about MasterCraft's origin story, it seems like the founders had some "differences" in opinion with Correct Craft. The wiki article states, "The owners took a Ski Nautique manufactured by Correct Craft, hung it from a tree, and cut off the back of the hull in order to modify it to their preferences". I'm looking for one of those Jeremy Jones tear-jerkers that glorifies the passion for skiing.