Zero Off - Tournament vs Recreational Mode

blagrata

• Baller
I have a Zero off system on a 2011 Nautique 200 (before it was integrated into the nautique display). I was wondering if there is a significant difference in the "pull"... ie responsiveness between recreational and tournament mode? I don't see a spot on the recreational mode screen that indicates an A1 - C3. I have been using recreational mode to increment up to the next speed (such as 31.4 instead of jumping from 30.4 to 32.3). Is the "pull" at 30.4 the same on both recreational mode and tournament mode? Is recreational mode easier? Thanks.

• Baller
So, @Kelvin you are stating that Rec mode retains whatever letter/number (A2, B1, C3, etc.) setting last entered during tournament mode? As such, can one assume that the pull would be identical between Rec and Tourny mode when the rec mode speed is set to a tournament speed value?

• Baller_

@Ilivetoski,

Press the select button until you highlight the diamond. Then, press the down arrow. Use the select button to highlight the speed and use the up and down arrows to adjust. To leave recreational mode, highlight the diamond and press the up arrow.

Be sure to select your pull type (A,B,C, etc.) before going into rec mode. When you leave rec mode, it may go to the next increment in tournament speed, so watch that carefully and correct as needed for the next pass/skier.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@ToddL That is my understanding. I have driven some for Chad Scott and he likes to ski at 35mph. He had me change the letter in tournament mode and then switch to Rec Mode.

@Live2ski On the old display, press the select button until the small diamond is highlighted then press the up or down arrow key to cycle through previous times and rec mode.

• Baller_
@BrennanKMN, I believe that adjusting by RPM makes the boat run by RPM setting and overrides what the speed says on the rec mode screen. Not sure why it's needed unless some trick skiers are accustomed to specifying by RPM (I've seen that done in the old PerfectPass days).

• Baller_
One of my ski partners had a boat with no paddle wheel (PP 6.0xy) and asked for RPM settings for Trick. He had also skied competitively in the days before PerfectPass and it seemed like that was how he operated then. I am not a Trick skier, so I don't know any differently.

• Baller_
@UWSkier, probably not much weirder than picking different ZO settings from boat to boat. Just as one becomes knowledgeable in which ZO setting goes with which boat, the RPM-based skier learns what to ask for with each boat. I'm not saying anyone still does this with modern speed control. The ability to select by RPM could merely be a holdover from the old days.

• Baller
Yeah, and boats with a different prop than you expected. For me, driving tournament tricks, and the skier while setting up does a thumbs up, I would normally go up .2 mph. If he asked for RPM I would have no idea what to do.

• Baller

Slight word of caution:

It's advisable that before you switch to recreation mode, you lock the course you'll be skiing in. That way, you'll have the proper RPM's for the gate factors enabled even in Rec mode.

If not:

1) the boat will be just reacting to the skiers pull oscillating with no regards to location in the course

2) The gate speed will be off by 0.5mph for a dual puck and up to 0.7mph for a single puck. Meaning, the speed will be too slow compared to tournament mode.

This was our experience. If someone has data/video of otherwise, i'd love to see it.

I pulled some passes in rec mode last night with the course locked in. Gate factor was definitely turned on.

• Baller
I am curious about this as I often ski in rec mode. My ski partner skis in between speeds and instead of flipping back and fourth I just use rec mode and bump the speed up to 36. We both ski in A2 so I set that in tournament mode and then never change it. Now I am concerned that maybe I am doing myself a disservice. The course is mapped and displayed.

• Baller

We tested this the other night. If you have the course locked in as the proper course, have your letter set then navigate to recreation mode, it will hold the gate speed correct.

It was obvious and working as designed.

If you had the wrong course selected or had no course, my gut would be running speed based and running only 0.2mph on top of your selected speed ready for the speed differential.