Coming back from injury

ESPNSkier

• Baller
How have other ballers come back from injury and resumed some semblance of normal skiing? I tore up my sternum in December and did not ski for about 5 months. I have been back on the water now for about 6 weeks and just can't seem to get back into a groove. I'm an older skier, skiing at 32 mph now and was just starting to run into 28 off with a bit of consistency in December but now I can't buy a smooth 15 off pass. Granted most of my sets this spring have been in windy chop or boat rollers but the couple of times I had good water my form was nowhere to be found. I went back to the coach that pulled me through my first ever back-to-back 28 off passes (the day before I got hurt) and I could tell that he was surprised with how hard I was struggling at 15 off. Any suggestions?

• Baller

Waaaay back when I had a terrible spill, hit my head on the ski and was knocked unconscious. Thankfully I floated face up! I couldn't cut at all for the rest of that season and it took me through the middle of the next before I felt good again.

It was in my head. Is your issue physical or mental?

• Baller

I mean, plenty of us have to take 5-6 months off every year in the winter...

I would say 6 weeks is not uncommon before running your hardest pass again, at least among the people I ski with. Depends how much you ski.

• Baller

If you stop a moment, think about all the bad habits you had, how long did it take to shake them out, I can tell you now, they come back in a instance, anything from releasing the handle too early to snatching the handle in and trying to go before the ski is under the line.

Advice from me is to sort out your setup and gate, once you have got them back in order, ski in a slow deliberate manner, eliminating sudden movements, etc

Give it a dozen sets, it will come back.

• Baller

Complete healing takes time. Despite being cleared for everything by my doctor, I haven't recovered full strength yet. And I've been rehabbing like crazy. I've narrowed my focus a bit - really concentrating on tricks. My new hip gave me some tricks back instantly but I've lost a couple others to strength issues. I'm working on (and around) the strength patiently.

Slalom still sucks. I'm going at that slowly. Add some equipment changes to accommodate my new limits and I have a lot to learn (relearn).

As an aging skier myself, I can't just ski and build through the injury like when I was younger. I'm pacing myself. I've been close to my last year's tournament standard already and have had some fantastic practices. It's working - just slowly.

Be patient. Ski for fun. Eventually it will come back. Good luck.

Eric

PS 15 off is surprisingly difficult. You are already doing well just being there.

• Baller

We could reframe it as an opportunity. You've had a reset.

Maybe now is the time to go see a coach and get a couple of clear things to focus on? You might find yourself shrugging off some old habits and making some room for new ones?

• Baller

I ran a search for a hip thread and this one popped up. Please forgive the post solely about me, but I am looking for some insight.

My right hip has been tight lately (LFF skier) and yesterday I felt like it was really tight so I skied one set and stopped. Today I tried stretching my hip flexors this morning before I went out and didn't feel too bad. I ran my first pass, no problem. Then rounding 2 on second pass (my offside) something felt like it it just popped in my right hip and I just let go of the rope. I wasn't out of position (any more than usual) that I know or really cranking it.

I can't put much weight on my right foot now and it hurts to walk.

How f'd am I? I've never had a hip issue and have no idea if I have a strain that can be fixed with ice and a little rehab or if I have a serious problem.

I took all last year off due to bicep tendon separation and then surgery and I was just getting back into it this year with a new boat and new gear. F me I don't want the summer to be over before it really starts.

Any thoughts on a self diagnosis; or do I just head to the doctor and wait for the bad news. :(