Keeping a boat straight

• Baller

All of this talk on what boats you can and cannot keep straight got me thinking about getting video of the boat to learn from. It was a long time ago when I got my drivers rating and after stopping tournaments after college I long since lost my rating.

My wife is now my primary driver and would love to get video to help coach her to being a better driver. However our site does not allow for a camera to be mounted on the shore in a path directly down the course. Basically the only place I could mount the camera would be on the boat itself. Given the limitation of the boat mounted course camera is there an ideal place to put one? Windshield with the pylon in view? Pylon directly? Back of the boat? Facing forward? I have a SN 196 if it matters.

Or should I just not bother opening that can of worms of taping my wife's driving and just keep my mouth shut and live the motto you can be right or you can be happy, pick one...

• Baller

If you ever go there... nah... just don't. Nevermind. She's an excellent driver. She allows you the opportunity to ski when no one else is available to drive. Damn wonderful woman. Be thankful.

• Baller
WOW! Talk about unanimous. While I'm new here I've still not seen any topic where Aall the commests are so completely agreed. Just erase this whoole thread lie it never even happened. Yes - be grateful you have a driver that lives there with you!

• Baller

You guys are totally sexist. Elaine Bush is one of the best rated drivers ever. Even if she's some guy's wife. My wife is not a rated driver but can hold centerline perfectly in our boat. Women, like some men, will work to make their driving better.

Don't be an ass and single her out but offer tools (like a camera that everyone uses) to make her better and she'll appreciate it. As will the men who drive you and get feedback.

Now I'll screw it up, make sure she goes straight to the kitchen after driving you.

Eric

• Baller

@keithh2oskier - keep in mind the big thing is that she's a safe driver. Beyond that, if you can arrange it, ride while she pulls a friend and see how she does. Or have a knowledgeable friend ride along while she pulls you, and report their observations. Sounds underhanded, but it's a way of making sure she's not learning bad habits. How's that for spin? Either way leaves you with the delicate task of pointing out shortcomings, if there are any.

I am EXTREMELY lucky in that my wife not only drives, she's really good at it.

@eleeski sounds like you might have been traumatized.

• Baller

@bassfooter In the old days of hand driving, I was getting ready to pull a picky buddy for slalom. Lisa comes up with some crisis I needed to handle. So she hops in the driver seat.

"Can you pull me?"

"Sure."

"I pull pretty hard."

"That's OK."

"They call me the Animal."

"No problem, they call me the Hammer."

He shut up and had a great set.

Eric

• Baller_
Wives can turn out to be excellent drivers, but husbands are the absolute worst instructors you can find. Its even worse that trying to teach a teenager. If you can find a good driver to give her some tips and watch while she drives, do it. Otherwise shut up and ski.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Just be blunt...tell her all the things she is doing wrong and lay out in detail how they can be fixed. While you are at it, try to help her with her off side turn and some pointers on sprucing up a couple of those bland meals.

If doing this while in the boat, I suggest doing so while wearing a coast guard approved vest design to roll you over if unconscious in the water.

• Baller

Ditto on the thread.

Years ago when my wife and I were getting into snowmobile riding (separate sleds), I asked my uncle if he had any advice. "Yes, always ride behind someone else's wife." (Huh?!?!?, I think.) His wife overheard the end of the conversation and chimed in; "Mr Swanson (their neighbor) is so nice. When I tip my sled over he comes along and puts my sled upright, compliments me on how well I dodged the trees and asks if I'm ok. I now always go to Mr Swanson if I have any questions. Not like riding behind Ronald (her husband) who not only tells me what I did wrong, but also lets me know laundry is late and the dinner last night was overcooked."

I've followed this advice for a long, long time, whether when riding snowmobiles, skiing behind her driving or learning to play a new card game. Always better if someone else gives any helpful advice there may be.

• Baller

FWIW, I think one of the most important parts of driving that is underestimated is the seat position. To me, drivers need to be comfortable in a confidant position that allows them to have control of the wheel and throttle.

So often the driver just jumps in and gets ready to pull the next skier.

Adjust the seat, that works best for the driver.

I personally, when driving like the seat close so my feet are planted and I have control of the cockpit.

• Baller

If your wife is your driver. Just keep saying you are doing great no matter what. It really is the only coaching that will work.

The boat site has been really good for her in the course. 9yj32b75824f.jpg

The heated seats and heated blanket also help. :)

• Baller

I don’t like to brag but my wife has been driving me since 1975 and she is darn good at. According to Al Bishop I pay her to be with me as she is far to pretty for me too! Funny story though, I upgraded a Ski Natique boat years ago to Perfect Pass....she gave me hell for spending the money and after the first set she gave me hell for not buying it sooner.