Glove Repair Recommendations

DaveD

• Baller

My glove is starting to tear so I'm looking for advice on a repair. The material that is tearing is thin and looks to be some sort of synthetic leather. I'm afraid to sew a patch on it because the thread holes may create new tear initiators. Would a flexible epoxy glue work? wwijq5atsr16.jpg

• Baller

They are Legends.

I like the gloves and don't really want to spend more money on a new pair if the same thing is going to happen. If this is the only issue with the gloves, there should be a way to patch it up and stop the tearing.

• Baller_
If you get your gloves soaking wet before you put them on, they will last a lot longer. @Broussard Au contraire! Two pair of HO 41 Tail gloves will get me through the year and while I don't really keep track, I bet that's like 150 sets plus per pair. (I ski year round). And I wear them very tight, with glove liners. I have an average size hand and wear a small 41 Tail or a medium master line. Getting them wet first is really the key, I think.

Lpskier

• Baller

The red and black 41 Tails were bullet proof. Haven't like the fit of the ones since then.

I'll remember to get them wet from

now on.

Found a shoe repair shop near the office. Going to stop by at lunch tomorrow to see what they say.

• Baller
@lpskier I do get them thoroughly wet before putting them on. The original 41 tails (black and white) blew out along the side seams. The second generation (red and black) lasted really well and I got a lot of use out of them. The third gen (yellow and black) were cut differently, and I didn't use them. Now, the new ones are black and silver and every pair that I have seen, the grey material around the fingers pulls and mine actually started splitting at every point where the palm attaches to the upper glove.

• Baller

You can get Iron On patch material at Walmart. Simply cut a piece to fit the area, larger than where the holes are, and iron it on, using the irons hottest setting. I have been doing this for years and doubling the life of the gloves.

• Baller

Since my office is walking distance to a Walmart, I took Ed's advice and tried the iron on patch. That and the patches were less than $2. The patch bonded nicely and my iron didn't melt the glove materials.

2 sets last night and it seems to be holding up OK. I'm a little concerned with the edges of the patch lifting up so I may use shoe goo or something like to seal the edges.

• Baller_
+1 for iron on patch. I've used it all over various parts of gloves as well as some older life jackets worth saving for guests. Tip...cut the patch to fit but cut it in some round or oval shape of some sort. Keeps the edges/corners from lifting. Another tip is to make sure you have not left any glue from the patch on the iron. That can come back to haunt you...happy wife...happy life.

• Baller

Like I said before, I came up with the iron on patch Mod years a go. Posted it on BOS, and skiers like Wish have had great success with it. Never had a problem with wax on the iron. Just move the iron back and forth, and in a circular motion, when you iron on the patch. Don't let it sit "still" on the patch longer than 3 to 4 seconds, or you may melt the patch. That is how you would get wax on the iron, because you want to use max heat. You need to work the tip of the iron a lot. Good Luck !!

PS: Also works on liners, vests, etc.

• Baller
+1 on the iron on patch, but...then I coat it with a thin layer of aquaseal. If the hole is really small or it is just a seam stretching (not busted open) I will just coat the seem with aquaseal....you can get a large tube of it on Amazon. It will last you a year or more.