Gate Turn-in Question

jimbrake

• Baller
I just was reading the thread on gate turn in and wanted to post just to ask a question, but I can't post there so I started this discussion. Question - When you swing up to the end of your pull-out arc and are beginning to "turn in at speed" do you then adjust your angle/target to make the gate or do you fall into whatever resulting angle you get and then if you are too early, adjust the starting point of your next pull-out? I feel like if I turn in at speed that I will end up being way early on the gate. Guess I better start experimenting and figure it out.

• Administrators
I'm not sure exactly understand the question but you always have to turn in at the right place to take angle and be close to the right hand ball. The trick is when you are in the right place to turn in do you still have the maximum amount of water speed and width. That is where I struggle so much.

• Baller
Yeah, that is the basis of my question and agree that is "the trick". Rhoni Barton told me essentially - swing up, keep pressure away, turn in while at the same speed as the boat before you start to drift back. I am not proficient at it. At all.

• Baller
I have been way up on the boat with perfect speed, felt like I was turning way late only to find myself passing perfectly by the right hand gate buoy and with tons of "space" before 1-ball. The GOAT is correct. Damn it is hard to trust it, tho.