Slot Caliper to Manufacture Specs

cacman

• Baller
@cacman Measure current DFT using your slot caliper HOWEVER use your regular measurement technique (I use the Mapple way which is Nose of caliper to measure with ski standing vertically in front of you with fin in yo face. Video is on the web) ...THEN measure again using the slot caliper technique. For me it's about .04 shorter when using the slot. So if spec is .765 I'll set at .761 with slot.

• Baller
There is no absolute conversion, differences in the numbers of a regular and a slot caliper highly depend on ski model. I carry 2 calipers for that reason, however if you only have a slot caliper and you want to put stock numbers you can use the slot caliper as a conventional one (use tips for length and head for dft). Ski vertical (tip down), for me is the best way to measure DFT using caliper head or slot.

• Baller

@cacman I believe I see your problem with your 2. something clarification. There is a specific technique you must use to zero out the slot caliper to measure DFT. Here's some pictures to help.

ki14vlugx6j8.jpg

So begin by sliding the slot all the way up to the the back of the fin, then slide the moving measurement head( with Display) all the way up to the very back of the fin also, then ZERO it out as in the first picture. Then move the measurement head to the back of the ski as in the second picture. hfja2mu8sk1o.jpg

That is the slot caliper technique to have it display a DFT measurement that is correct. As others have noted, your ski, caliper and technique will all cause some variation in your results. Find a method that you can use to get repeatable results. Cheers.

• Baller

I gave up the fight and switched to a slot caliper a few years ago.

If you want to do it with a standard caliper, and it can be done, is to pinch the caliper firmly against the ski bottom, the same as best as you can every time.

Others have used the tail end of the caliper, opposite the head with gauge on it, and lay it flat on the ski bottom as the small piece extends from the wider rule, that measures the movement. Kris Lapoint used this method many years ago at our lake, and I would assume he went to a slot caliper a long time ago, much easier to replicate.

• Baller
Ok I have done that before but i didn't know that was the preferred method. I think for my own readings I will stick to zero out the normal way and get a large number. Seems that gives me more repeatable numbers. I appreciate all the feed back.