NRG?

DaveD

• Baller
Update: This is the best ski ever. Most importantly it makes a consistent glide with width and a smooth turn-in really repeatable. I feel like I could have a casual conversation with everybody in the boat during the glide, right up beside the boat. I've officially thrown EVERY body position at this ski in the turns on both sides and it's a honey badger, it doesn't give a damn. It's under me and with me and across to the other side without drama. I've had every degree of shoulder-lead, folded over wake crosses and the ski never wants to kill me. Just incredibly forgiving, drama-free, fast, easy to ski ski. I was running passes in the most insane crosswind on Sunday, and now with 65 degree F water in Illinois. Still worked and got the job done. GREAT work, D3. Fantastic.

• Baller
I demo'd the NRG about a week ago. Tied my personal best (3 balls at -35 and 34MPH) right out of the box on my first set, using Paul Crawford's recommended fin settings. Skied into -35 the next day on it. The third day on it I got a personal best with 5 balls at -35. Love the ski and obviously bought it. Coming off of an ARC-S. The NRG is always there when I need it.

• Baller
To me the ARC felt big. It felt like it was the one in control and I was just along for the ride. I couldn't get a feeling of it being solidly "under" me, even in the move out. Coming out of the turns and even through the gate I tended to crush a bit and always felt narrow. Never "locked and loaded" across the wake. Anyway, I knew it wasn't for me in fairly short order. NRG I knew was the ski for me after the second set, no question.

• Baller

@skibrain In a nutshell, I'd say tip pressure is the main difference between the NRG and the ARC. But while the NRG is capable of building more tip pressure, I applaud D3's design because its tip pressure ramps up quite predictably, so it's manageable—assuming, as with all skis, you have the setup right.

You'll notice that the binding position I settled on above is forward, not back of stock. This all but eliminated tip-grab and spin-outs. Note too that this binding location is supported by significant fin changes. Just moving the bindings forward on the stock fin settings would hobble this ski's incredible ability to rip tight, hard-carving turns.

I haven't done a back-to-back comparison between the ARC and the NRG, but I've spent meaningful time on both. And I'd compare them by saying the NRG favors skiers who mostly ride pre-turns with the water braking within 6" of their front toes. Skiers who tend to engage more tip than that in the pre-turn might prefer the ARC's slightly more restrained levels of tip pressure.

The NRG design lends itself more to being set up to slam backside turns than the ARC (with the bindings back ≈1/8" from my carving setup above), while the ARC has a slight edge in building and carrying speed. And if you are a skier who regularly dunks the whole tip into the water in search of more tip pressure, even to the point of suffering regular blowouts when scrambling, the NRG's tip offers outstanding levels of braking and turning power, well before any sign of yawing tip-engagement levering the tail out of the water.

jhughes, let us know how you progress on this ski. I am skiing on one, it is a very interesting ski. My current ski is a 16 Vapor, this ski is very different. I find that it is much easier to get connected on the NRG but I am not very consistent, 3 good buoys 3 bad buoys. The bad always starts with the ski flipping on a hard edge and leaving my butt behind on my good side. Lol The off side is magic! I am on a 68" 30.25 Fin- 2.470, 9.950, and .75 wing-8.

Johnny

jhughes, let us know how you progress on this ski. I am skiing on one, it is a very interesting ski. My current ski is a 16 Vapor, this ski is very different. I find that it is much easier to get connected on the NRG but I am not very consistent, 3 good buoys 3 bad buoys. The bad always starts with the ski flipping on a hard edge and leaving my butt behind on my good side. Lol The off side is magic! I am on a 68" 30.25 Fin- 2.470, 9.950, and .75 wing-8.

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

Johnny

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw I was on the ARC-S right before my NRG. Was on the ARC-S for one year, up until this last labor day weekend when I tried the NRG. Both are 66" and I'm 5'10" and weigh 150. To me the biggest difference in feel, is that the NRG was more responsive when I needed it to be, yet still as smooth as I wanted to make it. The ARC-S was always super smooth for me. I still think that's a great ski for my body weight. I have found the NRG to be smooth when I want it to be and when I want to get aggressive it is right there with me. At the end of the day, what I care about is having fun and competing against myself. My bouy count has been consistently better on the NRG and I'm loving the feel of the ski.

• Baller
@skibrain I've been on three D3's and all of them size 66". I believe you're typically better off with the smallest ski that you can make work for you. If the 66" ARC-S works for you I think that's where you'd land with the NRG as well. Of course with D3's demo program it'd be easy to try the 67" as well before you commit. Good luck