Tumacs boat cover is AWESOME

Horton

• Administrators

This year, my backup boat ( @Rico's boat ) has to be moved out of the garage so I need the best cover I can find. That is why I contacted Skip Dunlap. He sells covers made by Tumacs. So how much difference can there be? A boat cover is a boat cover, right? In this case, the answer is no. The cover that Skip sent protects the boat better than any I have seen in the past.

As you can see in the photos the cover comes all the way down the sides of the boat. When I get ready for long term outdoor storage I will just need to add some bungees.

The material is also different from what I have seen before. It is a coated canvas called Aqualon . I suspect it is coated for durability and better protection but what I love about it is how easy it is to keep clean. Honestly, my boat covers are always filthy with dust and bird droppings. With the Tumacs cover all I have to do is squirt it with a hose and it looks like new.

One other feature that is worth mentioning is that the ratchet strap goes all the way around the perimeter of the cover including the swim step. When you crank this thing down your boat is really all sealed up.

Give Skip a call

863-605-0340

The Video

sl3nsx6emps3.jpg

oe3vmfjyllv6.jpg

wcl3yfcqtbtf.jpg

• Baller
Yes, I've been getting covers from Skip for years. They are the best. One person can put the cover on from inside the boat on a boat lift in like 15 seconds. It's almost like putting a sock on. When on a lift adjust the ratchet strap and never touch it again. Every ski boat on my lake uses this cover.

• Members
I have a Tumacs cover exactly like the one pictured, one summers use under covered boat lift. Fits 2002 and up Nautique 196. Sold 196 so don't need cover, will let go for $375 pm me if interested.

• Baller

+1 for Aqualon. It doesn't breathe well but with vented pole mounts it's great. We have one for our 01 SN from Angola Canvas and had a custom cover made for the Chris Craft.

Low maintenance and great protection. What else can a guy ask for in life?

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/chrismars515/DB3BC176-2C3D-45E1-9F55-83CD23740030_zpsrwrxl9nq.jpg

• Baller

They look ok for mooring, but you can't actually tow with that, can you? Looks like a whole lot of slack.

@OB1 the commercial sewing covers that Malibu uses come in light grey, my 2012 has one. No idea why anyone orders black any more.

• Baller

@Mark_Matis yup. Thus why I am wondering why when light gray (vented) is a factory option towable cover from commercial sewing (Malibu, nautique and maybe MC?) - why anyone buys black any more. The 04 LXI in the picture has an old school factory black canvas cover - but doesn't suffer from the newer Malibu vinyl discoloration. Side note, that water sucks doesn't it (Lake vermillion if you can believe that) ;) And I chose to ski it behind the boat on the right.

82zfkpoc6w1g.jpg

• Baller
He's also just a super nice, super trustworthy guy. We looked at one and actually for our purpose was more cover than we needed at the swamp where we are under lift canopy and need mostly a dust cover from the nearby gravel road--sent it back, no questions asked. Great guy.

• Administrators
@oldjeep I've seen pretty substantial gelcoat damage from the best tight fitting covers. Having spoken to the manufacturers about it no one has ever recommended to me trailering with a cover.

• Baller
@Horton - when you are going 2-6 hours on the interstate you appreciate a cover so that the boat is not all full of junk when you get to your destination. Never had any damage, but when I am going on a long trip I run a layer of shrink wrap around the rub rail so that the cover never touches the gel.

• Baller
@Horton How heavy is this cover? I kept the factory delivery cover my Prostar was shipped in, which I'm sure you're familiar with. I like that it covers the entire hull, but it's a heavy PITA to put on. And the OEM cover, as you also know, doesn't just roll on like a sock. This cover looks like the gem I'm looking for...full coverage and easy/fast to put on. Post a vid if you get one for your boat, as I'm really interested in getting one.

• Baller
The Tumacs do look impressive almost look more like a 'storage cover'. I have never heard of or experienced discolored vinyl, is this something unique to Malibu's covers/seating?? The new factory covers that come with Nautiques and Carbon Pros are very impressive, well thought out, and they trailer great. MC also has nice covers but the last one I saw had two support posts so I wouldn't see that one trailering well.

• Baller
Talking to skip about getting a cover made for my 2000 Response LX. He needs to make a pattern and only has access to a 2004 response Lx. From everything I can find the hulls look exactly the same. The specs I have found are the same. Just trying to get it verified before I giving him the go ahead. I talked to Mike up at Munson ski and he beleived something changed in 2005. Thanks

• Baller
I am selling this same waterline cover that fits a 2014 and newer MC Prostar. The cover was used for one season. The cover is dark charcoal in color and includes a ratchet strap, tie down loops, and 2 vents. The cover is made of Aqualon. If anyone is interested I am looking for $400 OBO.

• Baller
Anyone in central Florida with a 2017 Malibu Txi or newer who would be willing to have his boat measured? I'm trying to help Skip find a boat to make a template for all of us Response owners. PM me and I'll make the connection - I'm happy to paypal you $100 for your trouble.