Anyone have this happen? Prop help

mikegile

Driving home the other day and a blade fell off my prop. Didn't hit anything but looks like a fracture had been growing. Crazy loud and shook like crazy. Fortunately I was close and could limp back in. No damage to the hull.

I have a 2006 Mastercraft tournament team boat with the 1.26:1 that came is spec'd with a 13.7x15 splined prop. They no longer make such a beast and was wondering what recommendations were out there for this boat. The dealer recommended a 13.9x14.25.

Thoughts?

jzkic0qsbl0j.jpg

zzrgj53d3ww5.jpg

• Baller

@MikeGile, literally just happened to me last week.

Ordered a new one from Eric at OJ Props and they took a look at the old one and were very fair. Give Sue a call and she will help you out.

Good opportunity for me to put in a good word for OJ Props. Excellent service, quick response, good people. Can't speak highly enough.

• Baller

Yes on two boats last yr. One prop was a 1995 and the other was a 1998. Both were around the 700 hrs of use and OEM props on the respective boats. I would bet that if you were to look closely at the remaining blades there are also cracks on them. This was the case on both of these.

I now check my prop weekly for cracks. I use a dye penetrant available at industrial supply shops. Spray on and wipe off. Dye will remain in crack and make it visible if it exists.