2018 Denali c-65

AdamCord

• Baller

Check out the new website and new ski at denaliskis.com

2018 c-65

The ultimate goal in water ski performance lies in the ability to generate speed, but also to create stability and control through the turn. Water skis have slowly progressed toward this goal, but the c-65 is an absolute quantum leap ahead of the pack. The Denali design team has been at work nonstop using a proprietary prototyping process that has allowed the creation of 14 new designs in the past 16 months, each shape an improvement on the last. By attacking the problem in a holistic instead of piecemeal fashion, a new level of synergy has been found that allows the ski to be incredibly fast and effortless across course, but to be slow and controlled at the buoy.

How did we do it? Let’s run down the list:

An even more aggressive concave allows the ski to create more lift than ever before, so when you start to get into your lean, the ski lifts up and GOES! This makes the ski feel incredibly light through the wakes, and gets you high and wide on the boat more easily than ever.

By analyzing the flow dynamics of the fin and wing, the S-Wing was designed to create active dynamic stability when coming into the buoy, yet have less drag when you start your pull. As you start your pull, part of the wing becomes inactive as water flows past, allowing the ski to lift and create speed. Coming into the buoy, however, the wing creates increased dynamic stability, making your turns feel slow and controlled. You truly can get the best of both worlds with the S-Wing!

Even larger bevels balance the aggressive concave by pulling the ski deep into the water through the preturn, but still allowing the ski to lift and go into the wakes. A redesigned tail bevel gives a secure, deep tail style turn that is both effortless and automatic.

Keeping Denali’s matching profile and rocker shape that is known to allow seamless edge changes, an even more aggressive kick point was created under the front heel. A nozzling effect is created behind this kick point, which gives a consistent tip attitude all through the course and makes the sweet spot feel absolutely massive by naturally pulling the ski through the turn.

A newly created (and top secret!) flex and torsion measurement system allows the ski’s variable rocker to be dialed in more accurately than ever. This allows the rocker to always keep the designed proportions, no matter how hard the ski is pushed in the turn.

Individually, each one of these improvements is a breakthrough. Together they create a synergy that allows the ski to have incredible dynamic stability through the turn, yet is effortless across the course. The pressure under the ski is controlled in a way that the tail never lifts in the turn, but it stays deep and pushes through as the tip stays low and steers to center. This not only lets you carry speed from the turn into the pull, but slows your downcourse speed in a way that the line always stays tight, even when you are coming into a buoy late and fast.

INCLUDED WITH EACH SKI:

INSERTS (HO/RADAR PATTERN AND D3 PATTERN STANDARD)

S-WING

FAT FIN BLOCK AND FIN

RAD GRAPHICS

HAPPINESS (PROBABLY)

66 and 67 available now, more sizes soon

Just a side note... this has been the most fun skiing summer of my life so far. I've gained nearly a pass on this ski and it feels like the only thing holding me back is time on the water! At this point I don't really care if anyone buys one... I've got one and that's all that matters B)

Also Caldwell just turned 35 which means after nationals he gets to ski 34mph...If we can convince him to do it. This is him stroking 39 at 36mph on the new ski:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@Horton yes probably a unicorn for most people. We're still making the skis ourselves one at a time so once we've reached our manufacturing capacity we'll be limiting how many orders we take.

@Razorskier1 yes people can demo, although I'm confident that not many skis will come back to us ;)

• Baller
@dave2ball I have never skied on a Denali or met the Adams but these guys are a much much smaller business than the other companies. I agree that the demo cost is comparatively high but there cost structure is way different as well. Frankly I am kind of surprised they are offering demos at all given they have a limited build capacity.

• Baller
Having skied with these guys a fair amount and regularly with Adam Caldwell, the information and access is worth the whole ski price (even if you didn't get a ski). It's a different way of thinking about skiing. It can be as technical as you would ever want it to be or as simple as you like. These guys are fully invested in the science of the product and the science of the sport. Great guys, great products.

• Baller
They may the the science behind the product, but it means nothing if the can't get the ski out there for a reasonable demo cost. Don't know too many skiers who are going to risk 199 plus shipping demo fee for a new ski. If they want people on there product they may have make some consissions to get there skis out there. Just my .02.

• Baller
i don't know about the ' risk ' of $200 but as soon as it looks like they have settled on a production version big enough for a big guy i intend to take a trip to wherever they're located and try it in person. getting away from the pnw winter to some place sunny is never a risk so test driving the denali would simply be a mostly free bonus.

• Baller
also i buy totally into their ' gut ' concepts. just in applying them to my own skiing on an entirely different ski brand i can see the honest improvements in my own skiing. that leads me to believe that if their radically different ski design meshes with their outside the box skiing theories then the ski and the theories together might help carry me into my fast approaching old age. and, financially speaking, hope is cheap -so why not indulge myself?

• Baller

1st: I think it is cheap to only risk $199 for a chance to have the BEST Ski in the world. Also, only serious skiers will order one, and not tire kickers.

2nd: I don't believe the Adam's are looking at mass production. They simply want to hand produce one of the BEST Slalom ski's ever. I commend them for this effort. No one will ever get rich doing this. They are building a ski for each individual person, not stocking stores full of skis. They are personally risking more than $199 if a ski is returned. Now it's a used ski and has lost value. Thank You to the Adam's for stepping up and all the effort you Guy's have put into this.

• Baller_

@dave2ball to put a little more perspective on the demo cost, when Goode introduced the 9100 in 1997, the price was $700 - almost twice other companies' retail price and no EP discount like most other brands. So national level skiers had to take a risk and shell out a MUCH bigger chunk of change to try one. Yes there was grumbling, but that ski was a game changer and IMO the new price point was a huge benefit to the skiers because it enabled all the ski companies to justify investing in R&D to improve their products and get a reasonable return. As counterintuitive as it seems, we all benefit from the higher ski prices.

Whether the new Denali is another game changer or not remains to be seen. In the big scheme of things, spending $200 to try one is dirt cheap.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

@dave2ball, 15 months ago I had a $1500 ski, apparently it held the current world record. I Could not get on with it. I spoke to the company about my issues and had little joy, in fact the response was poor. The final e-mail was a suggestion that I should buy this years model as it was better. This ski was hurting me, I either gave up or try something different.

So I took a punt on a little known company who I had been following through BOS. I liked the new approach being an Engineer. Some of the crash test dummies even suggested this ski was so little effort that they could ski 3+ times a week. That suited me as I am no spring chicken.

3 sets in and I e-mailed the management with some feedback. Instant response, did as suggested, and on the 5th set ran 35off. My best for a number of years. Frankly I am crap, never likely to set the ski world on fire, but this ski gives me more smiles per set than anything I have ever ridden, and I can ski 3+ sets a weekend and still move on Mondays.

So if you are keen to explore your potential, want to work with guys who care, then $200 is no big deal. But don't be a klutz and try one hoping it is a panacea to your ailments. Take some notes, analyse what you are doing and give some feedback. You'll be surprised what you might achieve.

My issue is explaining to the wife why a ski I am having so much fun on needs to be replaced so soon!

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield I don't need a totorial about skiing. I have been competing since age 10 and have worked on the industry. I am well aware of what and how EP programs worked and how Goode changes skis and the market..

I'm not stupid please don't talk down to me. You don't know anything about me

• Baller
Living in Fairbanks, AK with 1 retail ski dealer and no demo program, I think a $200 demo fee is pretty amazing. I've never been able to demo a ski and have always ordered from out of state with the faith that I'd like whatever ski I purchased. I have no idea if the ski I've bought is the best for me, have just had to adapt to whatever I had decided on. Any demo program is great, in my opinion.

• Baller

By far some of the best support in the industry. These guys want you ski well and will do anything to help you achieve that goal. Being a test dummy for the past two years has been an amazing experience. I am skiing the best I have in years, not only due to an awesome design, but the overall support.

The demo fee, and even the ski price, is not just for the ski. You get a wealth of knowledge and help from the members only forum. A number of guys on this thread have benefited from the help that @AdamCord and @adamhcaldwell provide through that channel. I am excited to 'see' new 'faces' in the forum as people discover the C-65!

• Baller
@OB1 - the reason Radar doesn't offer a demo program is because they don't sell factory direct. The primarily sell through retail outlets. I am sure Perf ski or some other large retailers have demo programs available.

• Baller

Where to begin...

@Razorskier1 @Wish @9400 @mwetskier @Ed_Johnson @roberto @Triplett Thank you guys for the kind words! Those of you who we've worked with over the past few years, it's been fun learning and working together on skiing, I look forward to all of us getting better and learning more!

@B_S Yes if you order soon you'll get a ski by then

@dave2ball I totally understand that the demo price is high. We're a small shop with limited production capacity, so even if we had all the demand in the world we wouldn't be able to come close to moving as many skis as HO, Radar, D3, etc. Those companies all make great products, I wouldn't blame you or anyone else for deciding to try one of those instead due to the demo price.

Also @Triplett you're just saying that because you want us to send you a c-65. You're not fooling anyone :o

• Baller

Would be my ski of choice to try next...perhaps once I'm off injured reserve. Ran a proto a while back and so fast, so much lift, totally fixed my on-side "slam", and as a guy getting older was the easiest ski on my body I've ever ridden--didn't even know what that meant before until I felt it.

I'd be very confident in the thoughtful engineering of this new design...was simply a matter of time.