RTPs

AUSkier7

• Baller

I can't make a pass on a toe kicker. I can't get up on a double boot. I made a hardshell that I could kick in with the liner on my off foot. I love it, I can slalom again.

It's not an off the shelf product.

Eric

• Baller
I like the HO RTP. I prefer ones that don't adjust as I am a dragged and they are easier to kick into. The molded footbed on the HO helps hold your foot in place. I haven't used the Wiley one but I wasn't crazy about the Radar RTP my foot tended to slide around.

I had a rather too spectacular dismount losing balance crossing the second wake pushing too hard for the 4th after being late on the 3rd and getting out of shape. My right foot came out of the RTP and I completed the the crash by having my left foot ripped sideways and forwards out of the front Wiley ... ending up with an broken ankle.

That was 3 weeks ago, still on crutches still with a swollen foot and knowing that's this season gone.

I really want to ski again, but can't see me getting onto that setup again. It will always be in my mind.

Considering all other binding setups now (except RTP + wiley)

Any recommendations as to what you would consider the safest setup that will release before an ankle gets busted? pros and cons for Radar/Reflex - double release etc ?

Any advice appreciated.

The front binding may have been too tight for me, but having gone through the last three weeks of pain, I can't imagine ever skiing in a Wiley with RTP again.

Thanks

• Baller
@eleeski Like you I cannot ski with an rtp and trying to avoid getting up with 2 feet in (back issues). Can you please share how you modified your rear boot that allows to kick in once up? Any advice on the subject from the shared experience on this forum is greatly appreciated.

• Baller

oy86321vscwz.jpg

Remove the cuff and clips of a hardshell boot. Cut down the back and use a heat gun to open up the back even a little more. Replace the clip with an elastic strap (old binding rubber). Put your liner on your back foot and wrap it on your foot with a rubber band (old racing bike innertube).

It takes some effort to kick in but feels great when in. My front boot releases easily so I'm a "both out" skier now. One foot starts aren't magic - I missed one of three starts yesterday and barely made the other two (but that's not bad for my first slalom ride on the new hip).

Eric