Knee. Need boot advise.

OldboyII

• Baller

Hello everyone. Need advise. Week ago had a hard crush in HO Hardshell and hurt knee. Binding released, but seems a little late - after some twisting force was applied to leg. Result - partially torn ACL and some other consequences. Doctor says forecast is positive and after some time will jump in the water again.

After rehab will need to take more care about the knee, so in the meantime I'm trying to figure out what would be the safest binding option in regard to avoid any twisting force in the fall.

Thinking about Radar Vector. Do you think - would it be good option if used with loose upper laces?

Appreciate any advise or comment. Thanks!

• Administrators
Unless you want to go to something extremely sloppy like a loose Wiley here is no better / safer binding than the HO Hardshell. There are other systems that are equally safe. The issue is the release setting.

• Supporting Member

Although I do not disagree with @Horton in terms of overall safety, if you are specifically interested in releasing in twist-out, there are few bindings that can do that. MOB can do it for each foot and Fogman can do it for both feet. I might be forgetting one, but I think that's the entire list.

Again, that doesn't mean you'll be safer in aggregate; just that you can release in a pure twist out.

• Baller

Thanks for responding. I'm not blaming binding. Not at all.

I'm 58 and full of titanium like robocop ))

Fully understand that anything, even hardly possible things could happen.

I'm simply investigating options for rehab period. After this I will certainly return to releasable shell.

PS: to keep on the side of truth: Release was set on 4 and dry land test was OK.

• Baller
Only thing I don't like about the single plate dual lock is how often I've seen it release in the middle of a perfectly good pass for a buddy of mine. Rounding a routine buoy on a pass he wants and suddenly he's in the water disconnected from the ski.

• Baller
if it's done correctly, and if it's not put on/taken off a bunch, the dual boot/one plate system works great for what you want. The interloc must be replaced each year (or if you ever see any detachment), and you need to get full coverage on the edges. All systems have a way to get hurt... pick your poison.

• Baller

By the way. Did anyone successfully switched front foot?

I remember this question was brought up somewhere at BoS, but can not find if it was special thread for it.

Back to my wakeboarding experience I did one weekend two days in switch mode. Just out of curiosity. Can't say it was easy, but it was doable, though very awkward feeling first day.

With my knee I can hardly ski this season, but with another FF I could be on the water this season for sure.

I'm LFF though my right foot stronger and in alpine skiing my left turn (mostly on right foot) is much nicer.