Winter Southern ski site near Ocean

Dacon62

• Baller
@Dacon62 greater Miami ski club is very near south beach..30 min w traffic..and there are affordable hotels near the beach or near the ski club. if you need help with a hotel if you pick Miami, I will connect you with someone that gets the best rates.

• Baller
Are you looking for a vacation or a place to own? Some good ideas already. Eden is about 30 minutes from Ft Myers beach and they let you pay by the set. Chet's place is on the east coast and not too far from the beach. If you are looking to buy I believe there is a lot for sale at the Ultimate Ski Lake in Estero FL which is just east of Ft. Myers Beach about 30 min to the ocean. The nice thing about Ft. Myers or the WPalm/Miami area on the East Coast is that it is warm enough to ski and go to the beach all winter.

• Baller

Looking for a place to own and head down there for 4-6 months to escape the northern winter.

So preferably a lock and leave place.

Townhouse would be ideal. Not big, just a 2 bedroom, 1200-1700 sq. ft.

A community with a club boat would be ideal.

A low crime, good neighborhood a must.

• Baller

Not my listing but I know the owner. Ultimate Ski Lake lot

There aren't a lot of ski lakes on the west coast of FL. I have skied at Ultimate a few times and it is a nice site with a club boat you can join or bring your own boat. It is warm enough to ski most of the winter without a wet suit but certainly without a dry suit.

• Baller

San Diego winter water skiing is arguably better than the summer. Way less crowded in the course in Mission bay. Not too much colder and nobody hassles you for using a wetsuit that you barely need (but it helps a lot). Not as much prevailing wind. After your set, you are in the city with all the city activities to fill the rest of the day.

Obviously, the ocean is right there. The ocean water needs a wetsuit but not booties, gloves or hoods. Fishing and whale watching boats go out. And there's Sea World.

The real problem is the price of a house. California real estate is ridiculous and San Diego is way up there. There are not too many unoccupied places there. You could rent it out during the summer (peak season). Regardless, it's a huge investment.

Hopefully we'll see you.

Eric

• Baller

And, there is always Okeeheelee in West Palm Beach. It is a public site, although you need

to get a sticker if you have a boat you want to use. No official ski school training, but

there should be plenty of people to ski with if you contribute some $$ for their boat and

gas. The place can get a bit quiet during Winter months, but the water can stay above 70.

• Baller
I bought a place in Orlando, near Disney last year. We use it Jan-March with a couple of weeks in the fall. There are 8 ski schools within 30 minutes of us. Cape Canaveral beach is 1 hr 10 minutes away. We rent it out to Disney visitors the rest of the year. It just about pays for itself and we end up staying there for free.

• Baller
There is a new ski school near Acapulco in Pie de La Cuesta. Nice accommodations with lagoon skiing on one side and literally right on the beach the other side. Looks amazing and couldn’t ask for a nicer coach. His name is Craig Irons. cjirons58@gmail.com

• Baller
Checked out this place near Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico called VIVO Resorts. First class on the Ocean Resort style Condo complex, on an uncluttered 8 mile beach, which you own and can put in the rental pool if you wish. Prices seem reasonable at mid $300,000 USD for a right on the Ocean 1 bedroom fully furnished, turn key condo which is built and finished to high standards. There is a large lagoon behind it but you need to drive 20 min to get there. Checking on the possibility of getting some skiing going there. 3rd best surfing beach in the world (Zicatela) only half hour away. Many great restaurants and the town has an authentic Mexican feel as no big franchises have set up there yet. The wife loves it so this could be the place ?

• Baller

@Dacon62 - Gordon Rathbun was looking at setting up there a few years ago and partnering with the condo developer. Didn't happen for reasons I don't know, but it looked like it was going to be a good setup.

I'm curious, what are the #1 and #2 "surfing beaches" in the world and have you/would you paddle out at Zicatela when it's on?

• Baller

@jimbrake ...interesting!

I will follow up with the crew here and find out.

As far as Zicatela being the 3rd best surf beach that is what I have been told here. Guessing Hawaii and Australia might be #1&2?. Not an expert on that at all as I’m not a big surfer so I am definitely not paddling out at Zicatela.

• Baller

@Dacon62 - Ah, OK. I thought maybe you had actual spots in mind and that maybe you have been out at Zicatela when a big south swell was running.

@Chef23 - no spot on earth is always what you see in video. Even a spot as famous as Pipe can be flat and better for snorkeling in the summer. Zicatela I'm certain has its flat days. Every spot needs some form of swell to work.

• Baller
Puerto Escondido is also known as the Mex pipe, waves can get crazy big. My step-brother lived there for many years in the winter as a surf bum and I have been told by many other hardcore surfers (I'm a neophyte), that the surf there is amazing, partly because its a great town as well. I'm sure there are some breaks that are more consistent, but you need to hike to get to them.

It's not West Coast, not even the West Coast of Florida, but Pentalago in Palm City has four slalom lakes, and the beach is a short 10 miles to the East. Just skied today, Dec 7th, air and water both 72 degrees. Custom homes on the lakes start in the upper $600s, lots starting from $200K.

• Baller
Looks like the developer at Vivo Resorts is focusing on the Resort development and perusing a ski site without investors is likely not going to happen. Lots of protected species and mangroves in the Lagoon so I assume there would be a lot of red tape to work through before approval if any. Darn it, this would be such a draw for Resort sales and would put a smile on my face for sure. It would be living the dream...