Handles similar to the US gear radius

cragginshred

• Baller
I really like the US Gear handles way better than anything else too. Over the years I've used them all and they (Us Gear) are the best Didn't like masterlines copy at all. Wish someone could/would buy up his jigs etc. he was kind of a flake. I sent him several hundred dollars and it took a year to get the money back PS currently using a MasterlineCustom Grip and it's pretty good

• Baller
@Horton what's up with the disagree? I was saying if @cragginshred was handy one could probably make a handle with a jig and bender. Also, there are options out there that have the feel of a US gear handle, just not the full radius. Plenty of people would be more than happy to let you try a handle around your area or let ML know and they could probably work with you.

• Baller
@lpskier I spoke to Randy at Masterline yesterday regarding this very topic and he said they will have their "new" ergo handle out in 2-4 weeks, which will be up on their site. I have used the previous ML ergo handle and I feel it is better than US Gear.

• Baller

@bigskieridaho if the experience and knowledge and resources of ML have failed on copying the handles.. its not likely anyone with a bender and some rubber will be able to pull it of unless they put a s...load of time and money into it.

There's no way it's as easy as some folks think It is or somebody else would be doing it by now. Especially given USG's pathetic YEARS long level of service, there's definitely a market there.

• Baller
Not that you should - I've had some thoughts on making the bend - but my theory would be that the tube should be packed with sand and the ends capped prior to bending those end radius. These turns seem pretty tight for aluminum tube to be bent otherwise with out collapsing the wall.

• Baller

I know absolutely nothing about building ropes or handles but I've spent countless hours bending tubing. I suspect ML has had learning curve bending tube same as I would have making ropes. It might be better to go to an outside company to bend the handles. The material, wall thickness, and radius all have to be considered, the rubber over the tube would just add another degree of difficulty. There's always some spring back so you have to compensate for that.

I'd probably go with a custom hydraulic driven bender with custom die that could be split in half. The die would be capable of making all the bends, split the die in half to pop out the finished handle.

• Baller

For production runs @gregy is spot on, good friends family runs a tube and bar bending company, they have CNC benders that literally spit out things like frames for bus seats, hand rails for tractors, wire frames for paint rollers. If you offered only a single radius bend and a single width.....

• Administrators

Here is how I switched from USGear handle

1) ordered traditional handle with bend

2) take ski ride with new handle

3) find something else to occupy my time

• Baller_
I would by any this USG type handle from any maker that makes them but the problem is that nobody has one that is even close to the quality and build type that USG had. ML and or Brenda need to find out what the deal is and copy it. I dont disagree with anything anyone is saying but I just want to get another when mine go caput.

• Baller
ML had problems with the aluminum breaking. The first batch worked fine. There after they broke. I was looking into doing barefoot handles when I was down at the WBC last year. The bent end handles are not easy to make. They need to be pressed instead of stretch bent.