Awesome Day

76SS

• Baller

So my twins are in their 3rd year of college and my youngest just isn't into wakeboarding that much. Which means that I've spent much more time on my slalom this year free skiing.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a coworker about slalom and he told me that he had found a course on Smith Lake and would be glad to take me (he keeps his boat there), so we planned a trip for last Friday afternoon. Several years ago I wanted to slalom but had gained a bunch of weight, so I bought a 70" HO Phantom. Not a bad ski but d@mn it's big. I'm now around 205 but still riding the Phantom. I'm 54 and haven't been in a course for over 30 years but Thursday night I was like a kid the night before Christmas. Friday rolls around and by the time we made it to the lake I felt like I was on a 72 hour sugar rush. I was nervous and excited all at the same time.

First pass -15 @30, I ignored the gates and used the trainer buoys to get my timing down. Next pass, all 6 at -15 @30. 3rd pass, sped up to 32 and made all six. 4th pass only made 4, I thought I was still at 32 but the driver informed me he had sped up to 34. After resting for a couple of minutes I went back in at -22 @32. Skiing behind a 90's era Supra and the bump gave me a big surprise and only made 2. 6th and final pass was a full pass at -22 @32. Needless to say I was super pumped to make a full pass after not being in the course for over 30 years!

We've already talked about going again and I can't wait!