Perfect glass or slight riffle??

sunvalleylaw

• Baller
Glass is always nice to see, but my ski seems to feel a bit funny. After the first pass there's always a disturbed surface. I once knew a guy who when getting ready to ski, if the lake was glass, had the driver do a "down and back" as he didn't like that first glass pass.

• Baller
I love glass, with that swish of the ski slicing through it, but I tend to ski better with slight ripple. I tell my wife, after my inevetible fall in the turn on glass, it's just too slippery! It sure is pretty though. Here's a shot of wifey getting ready in 47f air temp yesterday on some.

• Baller

Ok, I will go now. I love glass. And glass on a nice warm day is a beautiful thing.

But I am starting to think I love it even more when the water is warm. If the water is colder, a little just the tiniest bit of riffle seems to break up the surface tension or something. Or, that could be all hogwash and my imagination, but how I am feeling about it at the moment.

• Baller
I lose a bit of proprioception on glass, like I don't know exactly where my feet are under me. Love skiing in it but always tend to over-ski, like I'm not feeling something so maybe I need to be more intense. I ski a little better with some slight texture to the water. Can feel my feet so much better.

• Baller

The glass always makes me feel excited and I love it when you turn around and can see the boat path and where each of the turns are.

Prefer the feel of the ski when there's some texture, although texture always turns into chop then whitecaps around here.

• Baller

As a mostly free skier, I love glass. Makes it feel like the boat has slowed down 2 mph, and allows me more time to understand what I'm doing when trying to fix something with technique.

On the downside, wakes roll forever on glass, which is a pain when a fishing boat cuts across the lake perpendicular to our ski direction. The little ripples do a good job of disapating those. Especially true when you're tucked next to the shore in a relatively high wind, so that the lake is pretty choppy a few hundred foot off shore.