What were your "firsts" this year?

MISkier

• Baller_

What were your "firsts" this year?

Of course, everyone is aiming for the next PB, but what other notable milestones did you reach this year?

For me, I try to find some bright spots when I haven't reached the score I want. It also helps me remember my overall enjoyment of the sport.

1. Driving a skier into mid 41 off at 36 mph at a tournament (@CaleBurdick with 3@-41 at the Tivoli Tidal Wave).

2. Running 28 off at 34 mph as an opener at a tournament - accidentally. The boat judge did not set the rope correctly. I had never done that before, not even in practice. Oddly, it wasn't even a scramble - I just felt a little narrow and wondered why it seemed to be a little more work.

3. Running 22 off at 36 mph as an opener at a tournament - on purpose. The main reason I did this is that my back was killing me that day and I didn't feel like I could run any extra passes - or any passes, really.

4. Getting a look at my "wall pass" in all three rounds of a tournament. Was also my highest average for a tournament.

5. Competing in double digit number of tournaments this calendar year.

6. Reaching Level 7 in my age division.

7. Skiing in the pouring rain at the State Championship and completing some of my best passes ever in it. Tripped up, again, by the "wall pass".

I did increase my 34 mph PB by one buoy, but didn't make any headway at 36 mph.

Still left on the table:

Running my "wall pass" at 34 mph at a tournament - I'm at 4 ball and I run it a few times a year in practice.

Running my "wall pass" at 36 mph at a tournament - that stands at 5 ball.

Qualifying for Nationals.

The tournaments are over in Michigan for the year. Looking to next season.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Lots of firsts this season: Nationals, regionals, a tournament with both of my sons competing, a new PB for my 10 year old just about every time he got his ski wet (after yesterday we are both at the same max speed), and it sure looks like our first 200 hour season given the weather forecast.

In addition to skiing our first out of state tournaments with Regionals and Nationals, we also caught our first “out of region” class C in Colorado. The crew at Laku puts on an awesome event.

• Baller

1. Bought a new Radar Vapor (should have done it years ago)

2. Got a ZeroOff boat (really helped with consistency and short setup courses)

3. Ran 28 off at 36 MPH

4. Ran 32 off at 34 MPH

5. Ran 32 off at 36 MPH

6. Started getting good looks at 35 off at 34 MPH and 36 MPH

7. Put more than 100 hours on my new boat breaking a record for me

It was an amazing season for me this year and it is not done yet. I am running up to 12 more balls then I was running last year. Feels amazing to progress faster than I ever thought possible.

• Baller

First completion of the course at any speed under real conditions behind a tournament boat (zero off equipped). (not counting running it behind an old outboard years ago)

First time membership in AWSA/USA Waterskiing and first time with a number

First tournament.

Multiple personal bests at the tournament, as I completed a couple passes and got into a third. Ended up with my tournament best being 3 at 15 off, 32 mph.

Participated in a "head to head" winning one round, and ending by rounding 4, 15 off, 32 mph.

First video coaching, and first in person lessons/coaching, which really helped with all of the above. ( Thanks @twhisper ).

EDIT: Forgot two. First time owning calipers and wing gauges, and first time learning about and actually setting up my ski. And first full season with a tournament boat.

• Baller_

Ran 12 meters three times in a four round tournament.

Chief judge at a Big Dawg.

Announced at Nationals.

Highest ever score at Nationals: 2@11.25/55.

Became a senior driver.

Skied in Texas.

And will marry off my three event daughter to a three eventer next weekend.

Lpskier

• Baller

My skiing didn't improve at all and I spent the last year starting to play with settings.

But I have a few important milestones that I got to be apart of.

- My daughter started skiing at just shy of 4 years old. She really enjoys it and just got to pass the handle to her 3 year old BFF yesterday who had a blast and even took a 2nd ski ride down the lake.

- I got to drive someone through their first pass through the course. I don't know if I have ever done it before. But seeing how happy she was was far better than any PB I would have ran.

- Skied a Rico and fell at 5 ball on one of the best -32' I have ever had yesterday on what is likely the last set of the year. :/

• Baller

1. Bought my first inboard (and first boat with my name on the title vs. the parents). While I'll still ski with the I/O from time to time, I haven't had a set behind it since I bought the SN.

2. Took my first ride ever through a course. With the ~10 total passes I got this year, I managed 4 at 15 off, at 28 mph. Looking forward to spending more time in the course next year.

3. I got 2 others hooked on slalom. Both started on 1/2 of a combo set this year, and now both have HO freerides. They're progressing quickly and they're always up to head to the river for a set. Definitely my proudest "first" of the year.

• Baller
Turned 50. After toying with skiing again the last few years (after basically not skiing for 20 years) I finally took the plunge and decided to really improve. Skied multiple times per week from May forward. Lost 20 lbs with the purpose of skiing better. Got into a course and got 2 at 30 MPH. Long ways to go, but enthused about what the future holds.

• Baller

First year seeing Lake Nacimiento 100%full

First time in a long time being in good shape and having my knee feel good enough to ski multiple passes per weekend.

First year making openers in all of our tournaments

Hopefully a few more firsts before winter hits!

• Baller

Photographed Nate Smith from the water for the first time.

4aety13hsxr8.png

Skied more tournaments that ever before. 6 tournaments in 2017! Total before this year was 4 in my life.

Ran 32off in a tournament for the first time.

Nearly ran 35off in a tournament (4.5 buoys. Still mad I missed it! Little Mountain Ski club is amazing!)

Hung on around 2 ball at 38 and got back behind the boat in practice.

Competed at a regional tournament and somehow found the podium.

Went to nationals and had a blast, even though I fell early.

• Baller

At the age of 70 having never been serious about course skiing I entered my first tournament, I was hooked!

Entered state tournament, placed first then entered regionals and placed third. Taking advantage of placement I competed at Nationals. Ran my opener and had a fantastic experience. Still hitting it hard and ran a PB yesterday that was my ultimate 2017 waterski goal.

What an addictive sport. I highly recommend competing in tournaments as everyone there has been supportive and friendly. Time waits for no man.

• Baller
Today in my lesson with Jodi Fisher he snuck up the speed without telling me.....as a result, 2 passes at a new practice personal best of running the course at 29.5mph 15off. I was hoping to make it to 30mph this year, and since we're in florida there is still plenty of year left.

• Baller

Said goodbye to the -22 loop to come out making back to back -25's

Did many sets that were PB's like 3 -25's followed by back to back -28's then 2 -25's followed by 3 -28's in a row, then,..............

Made -30 several times from the end of Aug till last week. 6th season skiing the course.

I will try -32 sometime but not in a hurry. Still trying to perfect skiing back to the handle at 1/3/5.

• Baller

I did actually have a few firsts that weren’t all time accomplishments but were big for me after the past year I had with getting better from the pancreatic tumor. The first time up on skis was huge and it was riding jumpers in July. I progressed pretty quickly to a first of riding a slalom ski and then first time back in the course running 22 off at 30 mph. Unfortunately my back issues popped up again and slowed me down but I am fixing that and looking forward to next season.

I also walked 5 miles yesterday in 80 minutes which was a recent first. In December I couldn’t walk 20 feet with a walker.

• Baller

This my third season slaloming.......61 years old and I run for the first time in tournament at 34mph 1 at 15 off. (I did ran it in training...not the same as tournament)

I am feeling that I just enter the "real world" of tournament !!!! I love the sport !!!!!

• Baller

First fracture of my leg this spring...no weight bearing 8 weeks then very hobbled afterward.

5 months post-injury ran buoys on jumpers (also a first).

Free skied in September (also a first--free skiing in Sept???) to get back on my feet and prep for a 6 round tourney a few weeks later.

First time on MOB release plate...it's cool!

Missed a few tourney 32 off passes (another first...haven't missed a tourney 32 off since M2). Thankfully ran a few of 'em too and got some decent starts at 35. First time not upset about whiffing 35's...just was really happy to be skiing again.

First time I took enormous slack out the end gates...ok that's a serious load of BS! I did throw the rope once, though...progress for sure...I guess that's a first, too!

First tourney in M4...geez how'd I get this old???? I guess I do FEEL this old!

First time since the pro-tour that I've seen pro's ski in person--holy crap are they good! Regina, CP, Dane, Matteo just wow.

First season since age 12 no barefoot run.

First track day at Brainerd International Raceway (I know that's not a skiing first...but I highly recommend a track day at a track near you!)

First kid to college...happy for him and doing great but it's different around here.