Weight bags for boat

bojans

• Baller
I use cloth tool bags, each with about 25 lbs (easier to move around than heavier bags). For mine, I went to visit my local auto repair shop and got the used wheel weights. I place the weights in zip locks (because they're so dirty), about 4 or 5 lbs in each zip lock and then I place some foam or something soft in the tool bags along with the weight. The foam is for when I kick the bag, it doesn't hurt and my grandchildren don't learn new words and tell their grandmother about what grandpa said.

• Baller

Yeah those vinyl weight bags are nice but if you are no where near michigan and don't want to pay shipping on a couple of 50 lb packages you can buy these bags on ebay - military canvas tool bags -

and fill them with washed gravel from your local home depot. each canvas bag will take exactly one 60 lb bag of gravel and they last pretty much forever. they are smaller than they look too.

• Baller
I bought 3 canvas bags on sale at harbor freight think they were $4 each. If your from the Orlando area you know the store Sky-Craft they were selling 35lb boxes of wood screw for $10 each, emptied each box into bags. they do not slide around at all and 35lbs is easy to move in and out of the boat.

• Baller
@dchristman -good to know about the free shipping from leadwake. however i'm pretty sure a good number of bos members do not live in the united states, and for them the ebay tool bags will undoubtedly be much cheaper. every major hardware store in the world is likely to sell gravel, along with other sources such as construction sites and landscaping suppliers.

• Baller
I have now come to the conclusion that skiers are both the cheapest and pickiest bunch in the world. Seriously - 50lbs on one side of the boat makes a difference in your skiing? We have more of a difference than that depending on which position (driver or spotter) that my father in-law and brother in-law pick. If this is seriously an issue I can't figure out why nobody has installed a ballast tank and auto leveling controller behind the spotter seat. This would take the average monkey maybe a weekend to figure out and a 4 banana shade tree howler money maybe a couple hours.

• Baller
A level boat is important to me as a driver and as a slalom skier. It makes a difference in the wake crossing from side to side, especially at the slow speed at which I ski (30.4 mph). An extra little wake bounce may make the difference between my making or not making the next buoy at my shortest line length. Since a level boat is so easy to achieve, why not do it. In my SN200, one 50lb bag properly placed levels the boat no matter who is driving/riding. It takes very little effort or time to get it placed properly, and it is infinitely adjustable. A level boat also drives better. A level boat responds more consistently to pulls from either side, and the driver's sight picture is more consistent. Or so it seems to me.

• Baller
A balanced boat also drives and tracks better. Back in the pre-speed control days I really insulted a very large (not tall) boat timer by adding like 100 lbs. of weight to my side of the boat before driving the event. The guy didn't speak to me the whole time and pretty much glared at me during about a 30-skier event, but better than giving the skiers a crappy pull.

• Baller
  • Baller_
@H2Oer - similar effect if you take weight out of the transom to improve the wake. I was pleasantly surprised that a weight reduction project that moved the Cg forward made the boat track very well. Was expecting a lighter boat to move around more but not with the CG moved forward.

• Baller
Weight in the bow may or may not help but it depends on the boat and how its weighted (and if the gas tank is in the aft how much gas it has in it, for example). I have played around with weight in the bow on more than a few boats and it helped some and hurt others. Weight in the bow can lift the aft out of the water more than it should and harden the wake. The bottom line with most ski boats is you want them weighted so they run as level as you can get them, side to side and front to back. Try your boat and see what works.