How many skis do you ski?

david_quail

How many skis do others actively use?

I'm sure all of us have a garage full of old sticks. But how many of them are actually used?

*first world problem alert*.

I ski two locations: a private club lake, and our cabin property. When we travel to the latter with a small car, coolers, golf clubs, and kids, overflowing, my wife is never impressed when I leave the extra duffle bag at home to make room for my ski!!! So I love the idea of keeping a ski at each location. I have a 2016 vapor i currently shuffle between the two places, but am considering the new NRG.

Other than @horton who skis 100 different skis per season and doesn't seem phased, do others bounce between different skis without it compromising their skiing much?

I reckon there'd be a minimum amount of transition time switching between the two. But not more than a couple passes. I also kind of think that part of being a good skier, is being dynamic. But that's probably just the part of me seeking justification for dropping coin to ski on the coolest new gear (NRG or other).

• Baller
I've been on too many in the past. If I had never got off my second, or third ski, I'd probably be a full pass above where I am now. That said, while waiting for my "18 Vapor, my "17 sold. I borrowed my old Mapple T2 I sold to a buddy and ran my hardest full pass on the second set. I liked that I could feel that the Ski wanted to do different things and I could adjust. Honestly, before that I'd say one ski, get used to it and ride it, but getting back on that Mapple made me question that thinking

• Baller_
One ski. I do have an emergency backup, though - my old faithful 9500. The only exception to using only my main ski would be if I were to travel and not want to risk taking that ski and expose it to theft or damage.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

One primary ski with a solid back up ski just in case.

In your case, I can see having a ski for each site. I travel time lake to lake a lot as well and have thought about doing that. But being a tournament skier I need to stay on one primary ski. I have no idea how @Horton does it.

While I can jump from ski to ski pretty well, I have many issues above the bindings so I try not too.

I do know some high end skiers that chose a ski that they think will perform better, “horses for courses”. Not me.

Used to be 1 my 69" 9700 hopped on my 67" 9300 for a 3 set day & tied my PB for the season at 3 1/2 @35, hoping to get passed 2@38 from last year. I measured & adj. bindings fin & wing the day before skiing it & I was unable to duplicate that 1 day performance. So I guess 2 now.

• Baller

I trick on two different skis, one for salt water and one for fresh. I'm just saving the binding hardware on the experimental binding I use in the fresh water.

I do switch skis a fair amount. If the binding is similar to one of mine, I adjust pretty easily. I actually found that was true for slalom skis as well.

Note that @Horton made us use our regular binding setup on all the different skis we tested when he did "ski tests" for Waterski Magazine years ago.

Eric