WTB: Boat in Western Canada

aspski

• Baller

Hi gang, I am looking to buy a used boat, Idealy one that is in Western Canada (I'm in Calgary)

Looking for something 20-21 ft, with open bow (prefer walk through)

Looking at sunsetters, response, 20v/20i, nautique, x7 etc

First priority is slalom skiing, 2nd is surfing, 3rd is wakeboard/relax on the water.

If you are selling or know anyone that is please let me know. Looking to spend up to mid 20s max.

Cheers

I'm sure you've looked into it ... But for what it's worth, definitely look into importing from the Us. I was in similar shoes wanting to spend mid 20's on a ski boat, living in Edmonton.

Pretty much no local options. But lots in Washington, Idaho. All well within a day's drive (3 hours closer for you).

In the end I got a sweet nautique ski 196 from standpoint ID.

Import was pretty easy and the drive was actually beautiful.

• Baller
They make you pay GST at the border. They really don't care about the boat, have to have the trailer information though. Have to show no recalls ext. That is the biggest hassle. You then have to have the trailer inspected here which adds a couple hundred more dollars. When dollar is low in Canada a great buy, when higher is not such a great deal. There is a lot more options in the States. Its been a few years so I might be missing a few things.

• Baller
Border is simple, as @AndersonSkiTeam said all they care about is trailer, the trailer inspection is no charge at Canadian Tire, have imported 2 boats and never paid for trailer inspection. GST only at border. Both promo's when the Can $ was just about even, right now besides greater choice not worth it in my mind with exchange...$30K USD is just about $39k CAD

Ya. Just GST at the border. And a trailer inspection at Canadian fire (which honestly took the guy about 2 minutes).

I believe I had gotten the boat insured, and already gotten a plate for it for the drive home. But not sure either was needed. They didn't ask at the border.

IMHO most Canadians selling their ski boats base price on USD. For example, The 2016 nautique 200 from our club is going to be sold this year. But he's selling it at a higher cost in CAD because of the week Canadian dollar. So I think there's good deals out there even given the current exchange rate.

• Baller
Yes. Just did it. It is simple. Just make sure you have a separate receipt for Trailer and Hull. So if it is 30k go 27 and 3 or whatever. Make sure all VIN #'s are correct. I also got receipts notorized. But apparently not needed. Also good to have copy of ad to verify price. Get insurance on Boat before trailering it home, and you will need. Transportation permit if previous owner doesn't leave his plate on for you.

• Baller

When I was living in Canada I bought a repo boat out of Salem Oregon. The import was easy, way easier than I thought it was going to be.

As stated above the government has 3 things they are most concerned about:

1) VIN for the trailer. If you can get that info and call Canada Customs prior to getting to the boarder it will significantly decrease your time at the border.

2) GST - you will have to pay this at the boarder at the time of crossing. Note only cash or major credit card

3) Bill of Sales. Do them separate as someone above mentioned. Make sure they are signed by the seller and you.

You might get lucky enough to have the seller drop the price on the Bill of Sales a couple thousand to save you a few dollars in GST but mark my word you don't want to get caught because they add a stiff fine on top of it.

I just used my trailer plate from my other boat to pull the new one home. When I got to the border the lady asked me if I was importing a boat I said yes. She made me pull up and come inside with my paper work. I took it in, she did the trailer search and was simple because it had previously been searched as good. I paid my GST and was driving again in less than 10 mins.

Trailer inspected at Canadian Tire in Wetaskiwin for $0.00 and registered in AB same day.

You can pm me if you want anymore help with this but it is easier than I thought it would be.

• Baller
Nobody has talked about registering the hull in your name? It is registered federally and I believe it can be done at the point of import so at the border crossing. Here in BC the provincial insurance company ICBC has been tasked with managing boats by the federal government. If you decide to sell the boat down the road you will need to have it registered in your name to do so at least in BC. I also had my insurance company ask for a copy of the hull registration a few yrs ago. Seems a lot of people are buying boats and just transferring the trailer. They are not covering hulls that are not registered to the owner.

• Baller
Have you seen the 200 that Wizard has? It is a bare bones boat and a CB. It is more then what you are looking to spend but a great ski boat. Took me 2 years to find a boat, but I was looking for a Sport 200. There was none in Western Canada, so I was looking North America. Watched Ski it again and only inboards daily, I did eventually find a boat here in Alberta. Will keep an eye out and see if anything comes up. They are out there.

• Baller

This is what you want. Get it before it’s gone. 2002 Malibu Sunsetter LXi.

My buddy has a 2003. Skis awesome. Hardly tell the difference between it and my 2001 response wake. Surfs good with a 500lb bag behind motor and another 500lb bag in rear locker and of course wedge down.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/d/malibu-sun-setter-lxi/6582506892.html

• Baller
I have seen that one posted, it was up for sale all last year as well. I think he's asking too much, and he not willing to move on price. I found a 01 sunsetter lxi i am seriously considering in the okanagan with more hours but $10k less and looks to be in as good a shape as that one