Ski course

seveet

• Baller

I am considering investing in a course next spring. I live on a public lake, so I am thinking that a portable one may make more sense. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the portable courses when compared to the permanent? If it gets used frequently and I can work through any local restrictions, can a portable course be left in for long periods of time?

What portable course would you recommend?

• Baller
Depending on the state and the lake itself you can get a permit to leave a portable course in for the season, tends to work fine but you need to replace the floats in the arms every few years or they start to bow which narrows your course. Permanent course is a lot of upkeep on a public site since buoys WILL be cut by jet skis, tubes, etc and having to dive to find your buoy lines back is a lot more work than going to the driver buoy and following the arm out to the end to clip a new buoy on.

• Baller

Good luck!

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/PR9202_AppPermit_for_Placement_of_Slalom_Ski_Course_Buoys_541437_7.pdf

I know Michigan's waterski association is trying to fight provision 6 about the 4 corner marker bouys. My attempt ended at the following;

"Further, I certify that (check all that apply):

I am the riparian owner of the property adjacent to the water area requested for marking in this application, or

I have attached a letter of “NO OBJECTION” from the owner(s) of the property adjacent to the proposed slalom ski course.

I have attached a letter of “NO OBJECTION” from the lake association, if applicable."

Unless you own 1800 feet of shoreline,

• Baller
I ski in a public lake and use an EZ-slalom course. I have to set up and take down the course each day I use it, which adds about an hour of time to the whole excursion. I ski at a deep lake (90'+ where we set up the course), so I have very long anchor lines -- this adds time to set up and take down. People on a public lake often don't understand what a slalom course is and I'm sure it would get abused if I left it in, so I haven't even pursued trying to get permission to leave it in.

• Baller_
@seveet, I have gone through the permitting process in Michigan. I can provide some info. I urge you to avoid inflaming the DNR. As @BraceMaker said, there are discussions occurring between MWSA and the DNR about permit conditions and those are at a sensitive point. I can put you in contact with our representatives, if you have questions.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@BraceMaker, it is not the 4 corner buoys portion of provision 6 that is the main concern. It is the daily removal requirement that is the issue (i.e., you must remove the buoys after actual use has ceased).

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I have been through the permit process. It sucks. Lots of red tape. Go to your state waterway website. There maybe a 30 day period where you can leave it in without a permit. Be careful asking for forgiveness. They may not be any. They may just take the course if left in the lake because you didn’t get permission. Not being negative just truthful

• Baller

Yah depends on state. In MN I just need a permit from the sheriff's office for a ski course. If they hear a lot of complaints they may rescind it. We have had 2 in on one lake, one on another, and one on another for years with no issues but the lakes are not busy and it's rural MN.

My brother would get noise complaints about his in the metro due to early a.m. skiing...but he modded his boat his Prostar with the 6 liter is almost silent.

• Baller
Sorry, I was just trying to make a joke. Obviously, not a good one. I definitely would not leave anything in place without proper permits. I sounds like a portable one is the way to go. What is the advantage of the accu course vs the ez? I have also seen a compact ez.

• Baller
I have a Ez-slalom compact as well. We only used it during the week. Lake patrol has driven by several times and just waved. We never left it in for more than a couple of hours. Years ago I had a floating course that we pulled the gates balls and turn buoys and left the rest in the water. Main lines were stainless. It was a good size lake so it didn't restrict traffic any.