What slopes for 17/18?

DaveD

• Baller

Since @horton is allowing us to discuss non-waterskiing subjects, i'm taking advantage.

What slopes are in your plans for this winter?

My last 2 trips out west were to Summit Co, so I'm looking to go somewhere else this year. Probably going to wait until we have a better idea where the snow is going to be.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
2 trips to Vail booked this season - Alta/Snowbird and Whistler last year, loved them both and if it were my choice I’d go right back this year. The rest of my crew needs Colorado this year for logistics. There will also be lots of NH and VT chasing my two little racers around as well. Hopefully some Maine too.

• Baller
I am hoping to Ski for the first time in a few years for various reasons. I know I will Ski a few days at Waterville Valley in New Hampshire and I am going to try to fit in a trip out west. A friend is renting a place for a couple of weeks at Jackson Hole so I may go ski with him and I know I will need to be in Denver in late March so I will probably do a few days somewhere in Colorado.

• Baller
@bigskieridaho I love Jackson Hole. Something about that place. Grand Targhee, too. You're a lucky guy. It's pretty much Mammoth for us -- no complaints! I might try to get up to Squaw for some quality time with @eleeski. A lift ride with him can't be any worse than him howling at me from the boat. The Sierras are getting slammed as I write this.

• Baller_
I bought my season pass for Whiteface. Fortunately, they are allowing me to roll it over to next year as i will miss the most of the season due to shoulder surgery. Otherwise, i would have flown up to NY from Orlano every month to ski. As it is, I'm hoping for some invites for late season skiing in Park City and Beaver Creek.

Lpskier

• Baller

Squaw rocks. Hope to ski with @bassfooter and @bishop8950 and a bunch of other waterskiers this winter.

The house there is getting flooded today (not Houston but annoying). So it's not quite ready until the storms switch from rain to snow @RichardDoane might get stuck with me as a guest at Snowbird if it rains too much. La Nina is supposed to be cold.

Eric

• Baller
Where and why... Mammoth- always easy from So Cal; Deer Valley-33rd Anniversary; Park City/Snow Basin/Powder Mtn/Solitude- Annual Guys Trip; Purgatory- Family in Durango; Telluride- cause we're driving by on the way to Durango and it's awesome; Mt. Rose/Squaw- Friend just retired up there and needs help learning how to F-off on a full time basis. I'm here to help.

• Baller
Living in the midwest, options are limited. Have gone to Snowmass the past three years but my main contact there wiped out his shoulder in a fall. I've been looking at Mt. Bohemia in the UP on line, looks pretty gnarly in the videos. Wondering if anyone has been there and can give a report. Getting a little older and just more into cruising these days so concerned it might be a bit above my comfort zone.

• Baller
@DaveD thats probably a 4 hour drive and it could be pretty daunting depending on the weather. You'd be better off picking one or the other and skiing the smaller resort that is close by. So for Big Sky you are about an hour away from Bridger and if you go to Jackson you are about an hour away from Grand Targhee. I've skied both Bridger and Targhee and they are both great ski areas with phenomenal terrain.

• Baller
@DaveD yep what @Rpc29 said. It is about 4 hours from big sky through the Gallitan canyon which sucks if it snows. Driving in snow doesn’t bug me so if you are fine you can make the drive. Big Sky is in the canyon and Bridget is just north of Bozeman and is awesome too. You could do Jackson MR one day, go do some skiing over at Targhee which is great (or schedule yourself a cat skiing day) and hang in Jackson another day and old school it at Snow King. JHMR and Big Sky still have the biggest vertical in the US. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I've got my Epic Pass again this year. Will be staying in Frisco for 2 weeks in January, skiing mostly at Breckenridge. Another 2 week trip late-February/early-March, will ski Vail/BC and meet some friends in Summit county for a few days. Not sure where for our late season trip, depends on snow conditions. Would like to take another road trip to Tahoe, it's been about 7 years.

• Baller
From the icy east and have never skied out west. It is on my bucket list, I hear Utah has the best snow. I usually ski at various mountains in Vermont, but I've been told that skiing out west will make me not want to ski again here in the east.

• Baller
@DaveD a group of us did 3 days at JH and one day at GT and it was a great trip we hit Targhee on an excellent powder day. Sun Valley is also one of my favs, let me know where you settle and when ---- would enjoy skiing with you vs just drinking like we did in Vail 2 years back! (Not that there is anything wrong with just drinking!)

• Baller

I live, work and play on the slopes of Sun Valley, Idaho. Hope to see some of you folks here! If you come, PM me and I will buy you a beer or a coffee. Or if I have time while you are here, take a run. Seriously.

EDIT: @DaveD , If you want to drive a little further than Targhee, Sun Valley is a couple/few hours away from Jackson. And both are on the MountainCollective pass which you should check out. It is a pretty good deal if you are traveling around and skiing at all. https://mountaincollective.com/

• Baller

@"Pat M" It is so true...BUT if you can ski here, you can ski any where.

I am trying to book a trip to Jay Peak as we type. I will also do Smuggs and Bretton Woods this year. A few years back I did Eldora in Colorado...old school skiing at its best and lots of access to places like Avery brewing :)

• Baller

Just made plans for Jackson Hole in 2 weeks. Always wanted to ski there and it seems like they are one of the few areas that is getting regular snow.

@scotchipman We're flying into Salt Lake and driving up to Jackson. Any recommendations on routes if we get bad weather. (we decided to drive up to avoid delays/cancellations with flights directly into Jackson).

• Baller

Thanks @DW we are planning 3 days at JH and one day at Grand Targhee. If the legs hold up. :smile: I've had a few people tell me that place is great.

I'll look into the clinics. On of the guys going ski JH last year but that doesn't mean he knows the place.

• Baller

Just booked our tickets to Salt Lake for late March. Plan to ski around three or four days in Park City. It has been three years since we last skied there so it will be good to get back! Any tips for lift tickets would be appreciated!

Will have our kids of 3,5,7 with us so it should be a blast for them! First time snow skiing for the 3 year old. Can’t wait!