South Florida vacation spots

WBLskier

• Baller
I'm looking for ideas for a place in south Florida (thinking Ft. Myers area or further south...Keys included) for a March trip. Typically we go to Santa Rosa Beach and ski at Pickos (nothing better on both counts in my judgment), but early March can be iffy with the weather. I'd like to find a quiet beach town like Santa Rosa somewhere further south. Skiing somewhere nearby would be ideal but not a deal breaker for this trip. I'd prefer a VRBO or something too so if someone has a rental unit or knows of one they've rented before please speak up. I don't want a big city like Miami or Ft. Lauderdale but instead a quiet beach town with some dining on or near the water where we can walk or bike around safely. We have 8 and 11 year old girls who will be with us. A pool would be ideal but not a deal breaker either. Thanks for the ideas.

• Baller

"Quiet" is relative, of course.

But on the over-developed east coast, I like Delray Beach, which puts you within (depending on highly variable traffic) 30-ish minutes of Chet's and McGinnis (and Okeeheelee, if you know someone there).

Southwest Florida is better at quiet, but is a little trickier for skiing as you're generally limited to Eden Lake (maybe 40 minutes in good traffic from Bonita Springs, which I assume is a little quieter than Fort Myers Beach) or McCormick's (50-60 minutes from St Pete Beach (which is perhaps more "quaint" than "quiet").

• Baller

I have a friend with a place they VRBO on Ft Myers Beach. It is across the street from the beach and I think it has a pool. There is skiing at Eden Ski lake but it is a decent drive 45 minutes or so to get there.

If you are interested message me and I can get you connected.

• Baller
I'd be looking on Marco Island / Naples. Plenty of quiet(ish) locations. Not really anywhere to ski down there aside from a cable park but it gets you away from the Ft. Myers/Sanibel/Captiva traffic. Plus you start out closer for your drive to the Keys, or just take the hydrofoil out of Marco to Key West

• Baller_
A couple friends were just in the Keys and they say the hurricane cleanup is still underway and the damage is pretty extensive. I don’t want to deter you from going but make sure of where you are going and that they are up and running before hopping in the car and heading south.

Lpskier