Best place for a water skier to live

Horton

• Baller

My vote -- Central Florida!

I was a long time Michigan skier, and it's was great!

Yes, the season is relatively short, you have the 'spotter' law on the public lakes and have to be really nice to others on the lake and the riparians - otherwise lose your course permit and deal with the DNR/DEQ or find buoys cut off . The ski friendships and brotherhood is fantastic. I'm hoping they all move to FL :-)

Finally, I had the chance to move to warmer weather and toured around most of South and Central FL, finally settling in the Orlando area. As @swc5150 said, "it seemed like I saw a course on every little pond we came across". Finding the right house was relatively easy after I made a map of all the ski course lakes. (Yes, I will share if anyone wants....email is in my profile).

Now I can hit the water year around, anytime I have a driver - no spotter necessary - love it!

x1ifa2sxlas1.jpg

• Administrators
@Ed_Johnson what! @drew has a guest house? He never takes my phone calls. Now that I know he has a guest house he's really never going to answer his phone.

• Administrators
@Hockdog for the record @Drew's lake and the lakes around it are almost magic to ski at. It always sucks to leave Orlando and try to ski back on the West Coast.

• Baller

@MuskokaKy the taxes collected for the actual sale of property in Florida consist of documentary taxes on the deed as well as the buyer's mortgage, and the intangible tax on the mortgage. It is typical and customary in Orange County FL for the Seller to pay the doc stamps on the deed ($0.70 per $100 sale price), and the Buyer to be responsible for mortgage documentary and intangible taxes ($0.35 per $100 documentary and $0.20 per $100 intangible, calculated on the MORTGAGE amount; keep in mind these are not applicable to cash purchases). Out-of-state buyers are treated the same as locals in these respects.

Property taxes is where a distinction exists, between primary home residents and non-primary property owners (which out-of-state owners would be considered), insofar as the primary resident is generally eligible to receive a homestead exemption. The homestead exemption is a reduction in the assessed value of the home for the purposes of computing the property tax, as determined by the local tax assessor (millage rates vary by county), up to a maximum $50,000 reduction (which reduces the property tax obligation by roughly $750 annually). Another benefit of the homestead exemption is that it caps annual increase in the assessed value at three percent.

Feel free to reach out to me directly anytime for any specific questions.

• Baller
Cool thread.. Canyon Lake is a good option if you want the good southern california weather and a community with more going on than Bakersfield, and better air quality. Unless you have to commute on the 91, then the traffic will wreck your quality of life.

• Baller

OK consider Arkansas. Here's why. LOW cost of living. LOW property taxes. Not far enough south to have gators like Florida unless at Mississippi or Louisiana borders. Lake property is not crazy expensive. Only about 3 mos of the year you'll need a wetsuit. 95% glass mornings and evenings. Lake I live on is the best ski lake I've ever seen - and nobody here skis but us! Been here 12 years - and never leaving!aytgj2gue1u5.jpg