Fin whistle

Zman

• Baller
In the Edged in Water video @Chris Rossi talks about ski set up and indicated if your ski is carving, and he sort of made a whistling noise, then your set up is muy bueno. So, have you heard your ski whistle? And, if you select one of the positive options, do you think it is fin set up, or your style is more smear than skid? Combination of both? Maybe a silly poll, but I was just curious.

• Baller

Never, but it would be neat to have an audio feedback device indicating speed that attaches to the ski. I found this patent intended for tennis rackets, golf clubs, and bats. Why not a ski?

Here's one for golf http://www.swingwhistle.com/

@AdamCord @adamhcaldwell I think this needs to be another Denali exclusive feature. The GUT-Whistle ...

A training and marketing winner!

• Baller
Some of my skis have whistled, others not. As @Thager said, the old Sauciers, probably because Dave Saucier thought a drop-through fin weakened the tail, had their fins screwed onto the bottom and whistled a lot. My T3 does a little at shorter line lengths in smooth water. Years ago had a Connelly Concept that whistled all the time- that one probably because it was just before adjustable fins and I had raised my leading edge with washers which may have allowed water to flow throughout he fin slot.

• Baller

I hear two of my many skis whistle all the time. One is a 2005 Obrien world team, and the other is a 40 year old world team. I think it is just the ski, because I have a lot to learn about skiing. before I even would know where to start adjusting the ski.

Rip

• Baller

I had a KD 7000 that whistled loudly on pretty much every ride. Everyone always thought I was crazy when I'd talk about that.

No ski that I've had since then has whistled nearly as much... or almost at all.

Wonder if there was something unique about the fin on that KD?

• Administrators
I always thought the whistling had something to do with the width of the fin slot in relation to the width of the fin. I don't think I've had a new ski that whistled in the last 10 years.

• Baller

At the end of the season in November I noticed the whistle on my 2017 Radar Lithium Senate... right about when one of my longtime ski partners said that my body position was consistently the best he'd seen for me.

The mechanism of the whistle could be explained in several ways but I'll go with the classic Lauren Bacall... “You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together, and blow.”

Happy New Year and I hope you all get plenty of that whistle sound in 2018!