Best ski gloves for cold water?

Luv2Ski

• Baller
Any advice on the best ski gloves to wear during the winter months? I have an amazing Camero wetsuit that works beautifully, but my hands get cold......painfully cold! I have a bootie by Aqua Lung that I wear on my rear foot that seems to do a pretty good job (although I'd prefer a thinner, more form fitting one), but the scuba gloves I bought by Aqua Lung don't work very well for skiing. While they are a bit warmer than my regular ski gloves, they slip around on my hands because they are not really meant for water skiing. I've had good luck with Radar and HO gloves in general, but l'm looking for something designed for colder water.......and the colder water around here means 50 degrees for the winter months. Any tips to keep my hands warm while skiing would be appreciated!

• Baller
Ooohh. 35 degree water? Now that is cold! I'm a wimp. 50 degree water, and 50 degrees outside is out as far as I go. I know there are a lot of people who ski in areas where there is snow on the banks, so I thought I'd reach out to see what other people do. I do try to keep my hands out of the water as much as possible. I'll try the hot water tip. Thank you.

• Baller
HO World Cup. Been using them for 10 plus years, since they were made under the Accurate name. Nice grip and good for chili temps. Also keep a dry pair of driving gloves in the boat for before and after skiing when it's chili.

• Baller
You can try some waterproofing spray on the windward side of the gloves, which helps while underway. Like @scotchipman says, what worked well for me in the past is HOT water in the gloves before inserting your hands, then don't let them go underwater at all other than for your start. When you drop, keep hands above water. USCG vest helps with this and should really be worn in water that cold anyways. I've heard of people using several layers of nitrile gloves under their ski gloves before but never tried that personally. I'd think maybe a bunch of them OVER your ski gloves might work better. Would certainly keep the wind down and the warm water in better.

• Baller
Have any of you guys tried the Camaro gloves? Those gloves are amazingly warm in cold conditions. For me, they truly make my hands feel warm in 50 degree water. In the cold water season - I wear a pair of those under my alternate (larger than normal) gloves. The only downside I've had with wearing the Camaro's underneath a larger pair of regular gloves is muscle fatigue in hands & wrist as they need to be snug fit. I got the gloves from Robby's Ski Shop @waterskigirl a few years ago and they still look and feel new. I think they are 1.5mm but I don't see them offered on her site anymore.

• Baller
Thanks for all these tips! I wondered if Camero made any thin gloves that would work. I thought I had seen some online before, but now I can't seem to find them. I purchased my full Camaro suit from Robby's Ski Shop and I love it! If anyone finds a place in the US where I can buy Camaro gloves and foot liners, I'd love to give them a try.

• Baller
Last spring I found what was left of my ancient Connelly Ice Breakers from I think the '80's. Everybody laughed and they really didn't do much for the cold but what I did notice is how they didn't shred my hands all up, no calluses at all! They were my go to all season, wish I could find a few more pair as there's not much left of these.

• Baller

Try Camaro Skintex Surf Gloves....awesome in cold water....i would go with a size smaller than your

normal size..

71q4w1OTBSL._SY550_.jpg

for really cold water, below 10degC, add a pair of Merino wool inner gloves....

PINGML.jpg

With the inner gloves, you will prob need to clamp the wrist with some athletic tape - keeps it in place under your camaro glove....

With the inner gloves on, soak the camaro gloves and your hands in a bucket of warm water just before getting in...when you drop in at each end, keep your hands out of the water and make a fist to squeeze out and excess water....TOASTIE...

• Baller
Use your normal ski gloves - but with Vinyl surgical gloves underneath. You can get a box of them for $4. Provides a great barrier for convective losses. Retains some heat as well. When you drop, keeps hands up.

I ski a lot in cold water, i use a pair of these under my Radar gloves. In my opinion it´s the wind that do most of the cooling. Try to find gloves with long sleeve that you can pull over the edge on your wet/dry suit. That way you will prevent water from coming in at your wrists in the start. I´ll still be coold with these on but you will survive :)

sr62t14daxom.jpg

• Baller
Thanks for all the tips so far. I did try 2 pairs of the nitrile gloves underneath my regular gloves and that seemed to help a good bit. I would try the Camaro gloves suggested above, but I can't find where to order them from. I'm curious to hear how the D3 Enzo gloves work out as well.