Star Gazer Wake Edition S (With New Slalom Mode)

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I have a 6.5 NG Mechanical system - love it ! I free ski, so I use the Simple Slalom mode for it's ease of use.

This works great most of time, but when i get a full boat the speeds are all low. I can fix this by adjusting all the RPM baselines, but it's a lot of work to get it right and then I have to revert it for my normal crew. Unlike Classic, Simple Slalom only gives you the ability to set Baseline RPM's.

So I've been considering upgrading to Wake Edition S. I realize it will hold speed more accurately, but is the pull as smooth as the RPM Slalom ?

(just for kicks, we tried slaloming in wakeboard mode a few times and the engine sounds jittery at those speeds)

EDIT: changed title b/c it was vague

• Baller
I used to have 6.5ng in my old boat and unfortunately it is tough to get the correct speeds. Crew weight is important so make sure you input that data. Most of the time with classic PP 36 was 34, 34 was 32 and so on to get the closest for me. Maybe upgrade to PPSG if you plan to hold onto your boat.

• Baller

@Sethro - I will try RPM mode. Any ideas what to add for crew - my normal crew is around 500 lbs but sometimes with a full boat it can be 1200 lbs.

I guess my main question is does a GPS version hold engine speed as steady as RPM slalom. I know in wakeboard mode it's jittery b/c it's constantly adjusting for paddlewheel speed and wondered if GPS is Jittery like that.

• Baller
Wake Edition S, work's great. Put one in my 200 merc pro max. Map your course, set you speed, that's it. No crew weight to set, end course times +/_ .01 and that same Perfect Pass pull we all used to love. If you can add more RPM to fine tune it if needed. It's GPS with one puck.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

If you can afford the upgrade go for it. I installed one in my friends 2004 Sunsetter replacing the older unit like yours and it transformed into a decent ski machine. You will not regret it as my friend sure has not. Menus and set up are much simpler than 3 Event Star Gazer too.

KR

• Baller

Don't you have a skier weight option? Just dial the skier weight as needed. We used to adjust by 30 pounds depending on head or tail wind. Really easy in old PP Classic mode.

If you have a switch and numbers you know, PP Classic feels very much like ZO and you can get pretty good times. If getting PP Classic requires an upgrade, do it. And get the paddlewheel to make tricks (and wakeboard) pulls feel right. If it's just a selection, get used to PP Classic mode - it will become second nature.

Stargazer (and the very few Zbox rides I've had) get OK times but don't feel like ZO. ZO is the standard because it is so consistent and it is the only tournament option. I also ski better behind ZO so I'm prejudiced. The Stargazer or Zbox options are a bit more money that my prejudice won't recommend.

As a tricker, RPM mode sucks. I pull enough and inconsistently enough that the speed moves by a couple MPH! Awful feel. The paddlewheel trick mode will give excellent pulls for tricks and wakeboards (as good as ZO). The engine should react enough for you to hear! For slalom, you need the reaction of added RPM to compensate for the extra load in the pull. Do not get used to the feel of a constant RPM pull in slalom - it will hold you back.

Exact speeds don't really matter for free skiing slalom. If it feels too slow with a full boat, just bump up to the next speed. If you are skiing the course, getting good times only matters right before a tournament. Use PP Classic, get a switch and dial in your numbers if you get really serious about competing - until you get ZO.

Eric

• Baller
@Mitzysman one more variable to consider is if you are skiing in a current or not. I dislike using any GPS speed control in a current. At least on the river I ski, it's a pain in the butt. RPM mode for slalom works great for me. If there is a vastly different crew weight than normal, I'll typically have the driver get up to 34.2ish adding 25 rpm at a time while I'm just going straight behind the boat. Then add 75-100 rpm or so for when I start pulling and it's close enough for me. So essentially I'm going a little too fast when I'm not "working" behind the boat.