New CG Fin from Denali

Horton

Skied two more times since my last post. Still super impressed. Yesterday was a rough day with about 15 MPH of wind straight down the course with the resulting small waves that you could feel under your ski. The ski had a hard time finishing. I backed down to 32,3 and was still able to ski. Today had perfect conditions. Ran a 32.3 to start. Two 33.1s and four 34.2s all at 15 off. Made every pass! Up until today, I had never ran 2 34.2/15 off passes back to back. Really feel like this fin is helping make the ski keel much more consistent. Water temp was 56. Still need to take some measurements and post.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Thanks @A_B. Thats what I thought. A larger bent wing is a drag! even at 6 deg. I use the same angles as you. Where can I get a medium wing or which brand makes those?

I am pretty sure HO D3, Connelly and Goode use a larger wings than Denali. Radar?

• Baller
I got to try the CG on my 18 Vapor today. Set it at stock long/shallow settings except 8 degree vs. 9 stock. One thing I noticed was that tail felt really stuck in the water turning. It felt though that I was skiing straight at the buoys. About half way through the second set I figured out that I needed to bias my weight forward for than before. Once I figured that out I ran a pretty nice 28off pass. It did take more effort. I think I'll try Caldwell's suggestion of forward/deeper/shorter.

• Baller

Has anyone else noticed the leading edge of the Denali S Wing has a much shorter straight section on the leading as opposed to most other wings I have compared it to? On the left is a home made S wing from 2012 radar wing and on right is a Denali S wing from late summer 2017. It might explain why the radar one has so much more drag at the same angle. x7rgzwi2pvc5.jpg

• Baller_
Have to agree with @thager. I've made a few of these and duplicating what they have is difficult as the bend is never precise. They all felt diff and the wing was the same. If we are going to talk about settings using the CG fin, in my opinion it would be best to use their factory S-wing or at least until they come up with a better mouse trap.

• Baller
I went forward/deeper/shorter and it was much more skiable. Before I was having to get on the front of the ski then would rock back coming out of the turn. I one think I'm not liking is that as I role in to turn into the gates there is a point that the front of the ski catches and wants to turn quickly. Its making me load early and kinda throws me off balance. Any suggesting on how to smooth out the turn in more.

• Baller

Another skier on our pond on the CG fin. LFF on a D3 Quest 45. As mentioned previously the fin needed a little filing at the very front to get it far enough forward in the D3 fin block. I set it to stock. This was for a 28/30mph 15 off women skier. She has only had 1 set in 62F water and ran 2 real smooth 30mph passes. She said "it just makes everything smoother".

Cheers

Ali

• Baller
@MJE, I am on the 68 2018 vapor as well with settings at 6.980, 2.452, .794 radar wing at 8. what are your final settings with the long shallow? Is your front boot set at stock setting of 30-5/8? trying to dial in before the snow flies here in MI and am hit and miss.

• Baller

@Midvkski I'm on 2016 with long/shallow setup and after alot of fin adjustments settled on stock everything with DFT +.015" (was at stock DFT +.020" but moved the fin back a little with recent water temp drop here in MI).

Not sure how the ski is feeling for you currently, but if you're looking for a starting point I'd try taking out a little length and DFT and wing back to 9 and see how it feels. Try 6.975, 2.450, .785, Radar wing 9, 30-5/8

• Baller

I’m really liking the fin. I’m .010 forward and .020 shorter than my previous fin.

It feels good in the course but it does feel really stuck on the pullout for the gate. I’m having a hard time getting free in the glide. Is there anything I can do to free it up so that I can accelerate more easily on the pullout.

I’ve been at .020 forward but it was too much on the on side. @AdamCord @adamhcaldwell

• Baller
@MJE, thanks for the recommendations! Yesterdays last set for the 2018 MI warm weather was fantastic at 2.456, 6.974, .791 wing at 9. Onside was flatout amazing, Offside was excellent if i kept my body moving with the ski and not in the back seat as i tend to do. Looking forward to 2019!

• Baller
I received my LFF fin about 3 weeks ago, mounted it on my HO VT-R. This time of year, I am lucky to get out to ski 1-2x/week. Previously to this CG fin, my typical average score was about -22@32 mph. In the last week, I have 5 full passes at -22@34 mph, and scored 4@-28/34mph 3x, and 5@-28/34mph 1x! I am really excited about this change. My ski finishes under the line with a ton of angle and what I feel to be less load. I am going to try it on my HO Pro next week, see how that feels. Thanks @AdamCord !

• Baller

Question: Is the Denali Ski CG fin thinner than the « other brands » CG fin? The old normal denali fin that is on my 2016 Denali is thinner than the cg fin I have right now and wondering if I should make a thinner fin fit on my Connelly for more speed.

Anyhow I am in a 66 Connely GT 2018 with CG fin for other brands with a home made s wing and its Rocks! My setup for your info:

FB: 28,625

L: 6,757

D:2.529

DFT: 0,729

Swing:8 deg

• Baller
@AdamCord and/or @adamhcaldwell I finally got my CG fin yesterday and I am looking forward to try it next weekend. I am on a GOODE XTM current settings L: 6,821 D: 2,487 DFT: 0,748 silver wing 8 deg ( everything close to factory with the exception of DFT) Question 1: Does anybody else have tried the CG on an XTM and has settings that worked well ? Otherwise please provide recommendations. Question 2: Do you recommend to try it with the mini wing (Schnitz's) and drill one hole in order to fit or use the small GOODE wing and at which angle in each case.

• Baller
I got my CG fin back in September. Put it on my D3 EVO at the same settings I was running my D3 fin - basically long/shallow. It worked great from the get go and really helped my onside in particular. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try short/deep just for the heck of it. Just kind of randomly set it around 6.85 and 2.5. For someone who has been pretty sensitive to small fin movements in the past, I felt essentially no significant difference and my ski/fin set up still works awesome. Have been super happy with the EVO and the CG fin made it even better. Next I'll try 7 inches long and 2 inches deep, then 6 inches long and 3 inches deep, just to show that fin who the damn boss is anyway.

• Baller

Correct - I bought 3 fins and none came with the s wing. It has not been available separately so many of us made our own version out of what we had on hand. Having an s wing on hand to compare to I was able to make a few that came very close in feel.

I ended my season using a standard but older small HO wing @ 5 deg. It is not necessarily mandatory as others here have also moved away from the s wing.

• Baller

Hmm that is disappointing as not having any idea what it “feels” like, i would be shooting in the dark trying to make one :(

I have an old Mapple wing i guess I could put on it.

Is everyone now thinking that the wing isnt that important ?

• Baller
@Deep11 I mounted my CG fin with my standard HO wing, and, at @AdamCord suggestion, reduced my wing angle by 1* from what I was running previously. So, I setup my CG fin with my previous settings, and ran 7* rather than the prior 8*. Felt great from the first set.

• Baller

Quick review of the fin - Just in case anyone is at all interested - we finally had a few days of good weather so skied a few sets as normal to establish by comfort zone then the next day changed to the new fin and went to give it a go.

Was entirely prepared for anything from “no difference” to “squirrely” with lots of swimming.

Was not prepared for actually feeling a difference and it being entirely positive. I have been a bit of a sceptic on fins and usually just set them to factory and leave alone, so this is really quite enlightening.

In terms of where it felt different:

Behind boat - same

Pull out and glide - same

Cut - same

Approach turn - same

End of turn offside (1,3,5) - same

End of turn (2,4,6) - entirely different, seems to turn faster with a much reduced radius and less effort to achieve it resulting in ending the turn further up course and in the right position to accelerate.

It was a lot of fun and I’ll be keeping it on the ski (vapor pro build 2018).

(Set it at standard settings with the vapor wing)

The vids are the very first 14 and 13, then - after a getting comfortable and trusting it - another 13.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp16vnzz1v0d8c7/IMG_0796.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yr0arkpnu0qd7j/IMG_0797.MOV?dl=0