Vacation in California

cobber

• Baller

Hi Ballers and Specifically Californians. I am trying to plan a two week vacation to California in July or August. I have a School teacher travelling with me that can only vacation those two months and likes skiing but will want to do a lot of other things beside skiing. From what I have been told Sacramento and San Francisco is the best area to ski so my plan was to fly into there. I would love to ski two sets a day pretty much every day and then site see in the afternoon travelling from one lake to another. Or depending on recommendations spend multiple days at a lake and then travel to another. I would love to make my way down the coast continuing to ski all the way to the LA area if that is possible. Definitely want to ski with Terry Winter and a few others in that area. Many people have suggested Sunset Ranch and although I do plan on making a stop there I would like to travel around more to see California as I have heard it is beautiful and the person I am travelling with has given me grief about all my vacations only being about waterskiing. She wants to do the tourist thing. Any help with suggestions on places to ski and sites to make sure we see while out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cobber

• Administrators
There is not much to see in Bakersfield but if you are going to drive down the valley to LA - Ballers are always welcome to drop in for a set or two.

• Baller

Depends if your looking for just ski rides or coaching as well. Many popular tourist areas are 1-2 hours from Sacramento. Traffic around the bay area is bad. If your trying to ski and do tourist stuff you need to keep travel times in mind.

-Lake Tahoe (2 hours)

-Napa (1-2)

-Beach (2+)

• Baller

To do the tourist thing and 2 sets a day you had better plan to ski in the bay area with @"Mateo Vargas" otherwise your partner will definitely be complaining it was all about the skiing.

It's a very large state and most ski site are 2 plus hours from destination tourist areas.

Apart from the Bay Sac area then Tahoe is your best next option.

Lastly My lake is 2 hours from Yosemite. Feel free to hit me up for a ride! Rush creek lodge just outside the park. You could get there from my lake in a little over an hour then be in Yosemite the next am!

• Baller
Hmm. Bring a mountain bike for riding, stay in Auburn (where there is a lot of riding right from town), and ski nearby at Liquidzone is an idea. I sampled a little of that in early October last year and want to go back. You can maybe catch Terry at Liquidzone too. There are also a couple other ski lakes in the area, and wine country, and good breweries.

• Baller

Hey guys thanks for all the information. Special thanks to @"Mateo Vargas" for all the information he provided. Thanks to @Horton and @ColeGiacopuzzi for the invite to ski in Bakersfield, if this trip comes together I definitely will be stopping by the to see the BallofSpray headquarters. Any other info guys care to share would be great. I do plan starting in the Sacramento area at skiliguidzone and ski many more in that area. I plan on seeing Yosemite as @Jmoski suggested and plan to go to Alcatraz and San Francisco, Ski the Pond in San Jose, Lake Tahoe, travel down Hwy 1 ski at Lake Nacimiento tour Hurst Castle drop into Bakersfield and then tour the LA area. Obviously not in that order but those are a few things I would like to do on this trip. Any more suggestions would be great!!! Or if you think I am biting off too much I am all ears.

Cobber