New Bare Bones or Used Big 3?

OSUwaterskier

• Baller

If you had $35k to spend on a ski boat, would you prefer a brand-new, 196-shape hull with ZO and a 5-year warranty or a modern big 3 with 800+ hours (estimate from quick SIA research)?

I see many advantages and disadvantages in each. If you would prefer a bare bones, maybe leave a comment with what you'd like to see in a true ski tractor. For the sake of the argument, lets say the ski tractor would be approved to pull tournaments.

• Baller_
@OSUwaterskier : Question - are you trying to indicate the New bare bones tractor is a CC off the 196 mold -or- is it a new brand attempting to break in to the market (the way I answered the question). Depending on how you answer would result in a different answer for each option.

• Baller

History has shown that nobody really wants a cheap bare-bones new boat. Even the Nautique "standards" which were total stripper boats in 93-95ish didn't fly off the shelves.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6518/DSC_0110.JPG

• Baller
@OSUwaterskier I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you suggesting that you can get a 2018 Mastercraft, Malibu, or Nautique with no options for $35K? Because I find that difficult to believe. A used big 3 for that price is a great option especially if it has ZO, like @MuskokaKy said though, if you are willing to broaden out to Centurion you will be able to get a few model years more current at the same cost.

• Baller
@RazorRoss3 Intention was for the ski tractor option to be a new brand with only the essentials. I have no idea if it could be done for $35k but if HeyDey can make a (somewhat) wake boat for $29k as @AdamCord showed on the other thread, you'd think a direct drive at or below that price point would be a possibility.

• Baller
Agreed, poll needs more options. I'd never buy an "off brand" boat, but would and have purchased a bare bones big 3. Another caveat is I wouldn't buy a big 3 bare bones-specific model, like an SN176 or Sportstar. Back in '06 my new 196 was completely stripped, only option was the 330 engine. Paid under $30k for boat, cover and trailer, and added PP myself.

• Baller
@OSUwaterskier if a new brand boat tracked well, gave me a good wake, and had the proper speed control then I would be interested but bare bones is a hard sell. When it's cold I value things like heaters so I would still likely migrate to an old hull of something I know because I know what I'm getting into and it would have some of the luxury features than make it more than a motor on water.

• Baller
I would never pick a bare bones boat. I have the need for an open bow, heaters, shower and all the goods. There are some great used boats to be had which included my 2009 Malibu Response that I bought last year. It is crazy when I see these New Mastercraft PS’s And the new Responses with no seats in the front or back but I understand that they are used just for skiing and provide for the best wakes. Non registered and only used at private lakes.

• Baller
I chose new assuming that the quality would meet today's standards. That 93 SN above was perfect imo. I don't need an upholstered motor cover, audio, fancy dash or extra storage space. I'd prefer a sea deck type floor covering too.

• Baller

My preferred interior is just gelcoat deck - textured with a snap in carpet.

That way you can roll up the carpet carry it to the house vacuum and scrub it, let it dry and use it only when you want to.

Even better would be strips of carpet that snap in down both sides of the dog house.

• Baller
If the new, bare-bones boat had comparable fit and finish and wake, I might go new. The thing for me is (or was, as I re-boated myself recently) that for considerably less than $35K you can get a very nice used 196, ProStar or Malibu.

• Baller

I still struggle with the question b/c you are drawing a 196 into the mix.

Maybe it should say if an off brand built you a no frills closed bow slalom tug with ZO and great wakes for $35K new would you buy that or:

--a depreciated big 3 for same cost

--a SN 196 with ZO current value in the mid to maybe upper $20k's.

--a Centurion Carbon Pro---not a big 3 but an established player with known quality

I will take a depreciated big 3 if I need open bow for $35K, or if I need a closed bow tug a used SN 196 with ZO.

Third choice a Carbon Pro with ZO.

In no case do I buy a stripper off brand boat when these other options are available.

Not a fair fight...200 hours, tower, wedge, 6.0 motor, zero off

Boat

• Baller

I may be missing something but what efforts are any of the big three making to produce a ski boat that fits budget for average Joe?. Business models and company growth has followed the $$ and left waterskiing without affordable new boat options. How much are we willing to pay for something that we use for recreation 6 months per year?

No doubt the new boats are state of art in form and function, but on the other end of rope where the fun happens not that much different. Evolution of boat design has created some great hulls, add reliable power and could this could be something great for our sport. Just my thoughts.

• Baller

I really don't consider any of the new ski tugs ''plush''or loaded up. They are already bare bones in comparison to ANY Wake / Surf boat that is out right now. The question is what are we paying for? They have minimal vinyl and seating, no storage, they are running smaller power plants, no ballast, minimal stereo systems ( maybe 4 speakers), no towers etc... So how can they justify the price tags on these new Ski boats? They are not 1 ounce better or more comfortable than any Ski boat in the last 15-20 years IMO. It really seems like the big 3 Ski tugs are just riding on the coat tails of the Wake / Surf boat market as far as price increases. The biggest evolvement in ski boats in the last 20 years has been Zero Off, thats about it. Correct me if I am wrong, just a frustrated blue collar fan of the sport.

My 2 cents...

• Baller
I wouldn't say you are wrong, but the new boat engines are far superior to those of 15-20 years ago. They develop more horsepower and torque per cubic inch of displacement. They start better, run better, require less maintenance (eg. no points etc.), are more dependable, and use fuel more efficiently. There's more high tech in them, they are made of aluminum (lighter in weight), and all of that costs money.

• Baller

I keep my stuff for a long time so passing up a new "good" boat (tracking, wake, fit, finish all OK) would be tough. Resale was a big factor against brand X.

If the new brand X boat was not small like the boats of the 90's then I probably would choose it.

• Baller

@Bill22 I'd prefer a smaller boat. I do have a small tow car (Ford Ranger). Towing the new boat monsters requires a semi.

Size does not define the quality of a ski boat. Maybe a wakesurf boat - but I live at the beach so why would I want to surf behind a boat?

If I'm going to surf on a lake, I'll build Slater's surf lake. Probably cheaper than a surf boat and semi to tow it.

Eric

• Baller

Stan got a lot of quality hours and good tournament results from training behind his Moomba. Reasonable boat. Saved him a lot compared to my fancy boats. I skied behind it often and it worked.

ZO and the awesome boat MC offered in 08 made him move. But he was able to save enough to do that thanks to the Moomba.

Eric

• Baller_

Lots of barebones no longer even around boats from the ealy 2000s. But was the price comparison to the big 3 back then close to half?

Moomba Boomerang

Aztec Coyote

Gekko..all dd

Infinity?

Even from the big 3

Bu Tantrum or Sportster

MC Sport

SN 17 footer

Prob missing a couple more.

• Baller

@eleeski 49 days out of 50 I agree with you and a small slalom tug good. It’s the few days a year that I go to Lake Gaston or other big water with family that I want a little more room than a Gekko.

What I was getting at is, I am middle of the road on this. I could not care less about touch screens or push button start creature comfort options. I want tracking, a nice wake, and a little space for a muilti-sport day. If a new brand x boat has those things I would give it a serious look.

• Baller
Problem with the LXR is trying to keep the thing straight when compared to a hull design that is a little newer. I tried one recently from the skiing end and the drivers seat and its just not in the same league as a 10 - 15 year old 196. Its not a bad boat and it skis ok but a 2004 LXI is a way better hull.. There are better alternatives and thats why its not popular.

• Baller_

@Bill22, the LXR is/was built on the old LX hull, basically identical to the Response LX (1999 - end of model) that preceded the LXi. The main change was to convert the helm and dash to a walkthrough design versus the step-over design to access the bow seat. The bow seat in the LXR morphed from a lateral bench design to individual seats on each side of the walkthrough aisle.

The LX wake (and, thus, the LXR wake) was low, but firm. The LXi was a different design and resulting wake.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@bill22 no it's a recycled Response Lx from the early 2000's which had a step over-and-thru the windshield open bow and now has a walk-thru open bow in the LX-R. Otherwise same hull/wake/ergonomics etc of the old Response Lx.

Nothing like a Lxi with a foot cut off...totally different boats.

• Baller

@RINLE We bought a '90 Euro F3 over the American Skier because we felt it was a higher quality construction.

That boat was just traded in for a '17 TXI. It's probably the reason they are part of the big 3 and American Skier and the other base level boats are not.

For me my ski boat is just that. I would likely move to a smaller boat. CC196 or Carbon Pro. Don't need anything fancy just a supper ski tug. I don't see the new boats being so much better that they are going to make me spend the cash for them. I also like simple, Dash, no Cats is a plus but that might not be depending on what I could find.