Spring Mountain Ski Ranch

jpattigr

• Baller
Hi All, About 8 years ago I went and looked at this ski lake development near Phoenix and the lots were selling around $300k, all these years later and lots are selling (maybe selling) well under $100k. Looks like no homes have ever been built, does anyone know what happened to this ski lake? Does it ever have a future?

• Baller

Kinda wondered about this place Too. Maybe it needs a few houses built there to get things going.

Current quarterly fees are $774 I believe and a 2,000 sq. ft min. house size.

Out of town a ways so that would reduce interest. However Lakeside Ski village is very close by and it is almost all built out.

Someone will bite at those prices you would think.

• Baller
The first house is under construction at this time. The project has good bones design wise and is in a beautiful location on a road less traveled. It skies very well. Water ski properties in the south west are becoming a hot item as of late.

• Baller

I have been "absent" from the forum for awhile as I found some people a bit too hostile. That being said, I would like to clear up the urban legends surrounding Spring Mountain, dispose of Fake News and get the facts out there.

Yes, the lots did sell for as much as $300k when the project started in 2004-2005, pre-housing crash. Several of the buyers where buying purely for investment purposes. A few of the lots are still owned by these investors, who are now looking to sell.

Currently, one of the lots is under contract for $85,000. The last one that sold prior sold fro $63,000.

There are 4 lots actively on the market for $75k, $80k and 2 for $120k. Logic would dictate that the will sell in order of best price since all the lots are essentially the same unless the orientation of the lake side of the house matters. The lots for $120K face east. If you are a year round resident you might prefer that. If you are a winter visitor, you would prefer the west facing lot.

The original developer is no longer involved with the project and it is fully run by the current ownership and their home owners association. A few of the members are now being very aggressive with improving the lake and common area, thus the lake is in a serious redevelopment phase. The shoreline has been improved and the lake level is no longer dropped in the winter months.

NOW to dispel the water myth. The water use rights are not "up" in 2025. The current water use agreement EXPIRES in 2025. What this means is that they will need to re-negotiate their agreement. Cost may or may not increase and the amount of water being purchased may or may not increase, so PLEASE stop saying they will not have water after 2025.

The current building status is, one home currently in the building stage. The owner has her septic, well and footer/foundation poured. She is currently waiting for her final approval and building permit from the county. Another owner will begin construction of his dock this fall. It is being designed and built by a builder that has constructed very nice docks at Santan Lakeside.

I would also like to address the "Lakeside Ski Village being almost built out". The last lot that has never been built on was sold Jan. 4 for $250k. The new owner is currently working on his home plans and will begin construction in the next few months. There are currently no homes available for sale. The last two sales were for $385k and $372K. Both new owners are in for the long haul. I do not anticipate anything coming on the market at Lakeside for sometime unless a current owner has a change of life situation. There are several people waiting for something to become available at Lakeside. That alone will help the values at Spring Mountain. Of course each successive sale at Spring Mountain will increase prices. I do know of owners with more than one lot that are waiting until that time to sell their additional lot.

As for HOA fees of $500 a month a Spring Mountain, you would need to compare that to the other lakes as well. Crystal Point is $625, Santatn $550, Buchli $600, and Lakeside $425. Using and providing water to a private lake in the desert is expensive.

I would be more than happy to address anyone's questions about this project. Feel free to contact me directly.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to find my boat driver and take a ski set. THAT is the beauty of being in Arizona in the winter. For the record, NO drysuit needed! Ski ya later!

Just updating SMSR. Some good stuff happening out there! Along with the house thats going in there are two boat houses in design phase and another under construction. Another lot just sold this week and with 2 other sales this year to skiers who are excited to see the lakes continued progress, things are looking good out there. As one of the original lot owners it’s been a long process but we are excited about the future at Spring Mountain Ranch and the property is shaping up. We’re feeling like property values are finally rising and owners are spending $$ on improving their lots.