Used Boat Guidance

Windsurfnut

• Baller

Just recently sold my 1988 Prostar 190. Awesome little boat for what we needed it for - getting a relatively new skiing family into the sport. But as luck would have it, we found ourselves using it far more then we ever expected!!! The interior was getting rough, and the decision to invest in a newer boat rather than the interior was made..

Boat selection at the moment is pretty sparse - but a few options exist. We are long line 15' off skiers - ranging from 26/28 mph for the kids to 32mph for me. Course and Open water.

The selection currently that I have narrowed it too:

2000 MC PS 190

2000 Malibu Sportster

2002 Ski Nautique CB

I'm leaning towards the SN. GT40, PP, TSC2 hull..and the seller returns calls.

On the other 2, not much information - seller likes their boats too much to return calls.

All 3 are within a couple bucks of each other.

Our primary focus is long line/slower speed slalom wakes at the moment, with of course potential to move well past that. We have a lake runner boat for everything else besides skiing, this is a slalom only tug.

So far reading forums and reviews, the SN is the winner.

• Baller
My opinion would be eliminate anything without a small block chevy. As much as people like those old boats, the 351 has been obsolete for years and it is more expensive to repair/replace compared to a GM 350. This assumes you are not looking to do a modern engine swap.

• Baller_
Now that a economical replace/repair has occurred with being able to replace/ Repair the ECM's on the GT-40 Engine, I would not hesitate on the older Ford SN's for a family ski boat. PCM has most everything available for service items and most of the induction stuff can be purchased over the counter at a NAPA. Upgrade the Speed control to Stargazer and one has a great ski machine for the longer line slower speed family. I say go for it..

• Baller
I am with @scotchipman on the Malibu recommendation. I have an 02 LX and think the wake is a little softer than the same vintage SN. I taught my kids to run the course behind it when they were 8 or 9 and they did great behind it. It is still running strong now.