Going back to -22 to start the season

cragginshred

• Baller

Following taking the winter off with a drought winter in Ca and a miracle March with an entire winters worth of percip hitting us this month I've had some frustrations coming off the dock at a shorter line length I consistently nailed last fall. Another variable was I only had 3 days on my new 2018 Vapor last fall so I never really got used to how snappy the edge change is on the ski with the tendency of holding my cut too hard and long.

As a result of two crappy days at my former line length this spring/winter I am opting to go back to -22 to start. I was so hesitant because that line length is soooo different than the subsequent shorter ones AND you can get a away with many bad habits that will never aide in getting back to my former line length that I dialed last season.

The obvious reason is I have to

1) Get used to the new ski

2) Get some timing and rhythm going

3) Round 6 ball dammit

I know there are a few of you who say stay at -28 even if it means skiing 32mph or whatever, but it is simply not happening right now

Others would say 'you have to run many passes or all at -22 to shorten the line'

What do the ballers here say? I'm guessing more will agree with the second line of thought?

• Baller
Assuming that you're at your max speed, I'd have no hesitance in saying drop a line length. Lots of skiers who live where a several month layoff is normal either start a little slower or drop a line length for a few sets. No shame in that, especially since you're on a ski that's essentially new to you.

• Baller

I hate 22 so much that i prefer to slow the boat to 17.2 or even slower if it's really going that bad ...

The swing of things @28 is so much better then 22 IMO...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@cragginshred - start where you normaly would. Move the fin until the ski works.

Avoid falling into the trap that you will learn a ski and it will be perfect. 99% of the time it wont.

What are the fin settings? Sounds like you might have an issue with the relationship between depth/dft and boot position.

Have any video ?

• Baller

I'm actually using a progressor line so last fall I was able to forgo the -22 loop altogether and come off dock at -25 and do up to 6 straight

I was just trying to pick up where I left off, BUT I was not used to the new ski

So I agree wait for the water to warm and spend some time at -22. It's going to be 70* this week in Ca. and I had snow at my house in the foothills the past 3 weekends so it should be a drastic change!

@Andre I know what you mean about the difference from -22 to -28 swing, but I'm not there yet so back to -22!