450HP 6.0L in a 2011 Nautique 200

Fam-man

• Baller

Hey Ballers

Considering a used boat that has the 450Hp 6.0L in a 2011 Nautique 200?

Any thoughts on reliability and longevity with this engine version? Are they very common, I typically see a the 409Hp version.

Any other thoughts or words of caution?

Thanks

The ski-it-again 200 is a little off. "2014 Ski Nautique 200 Team with the following options: PCM ZR450 w/2.5 hours w/6 mths parts warranty".

Boat completely refurbished? Sounds like it was re-powered with the 450 or more likely a 409.

• Baller_
Nope! I just got off the phone with Tim at Inboard Solutions. It really is not a re-furb but it does have a new ZR 6.0 HO motor, originally a anemic 5.7 boat. Lots of love has been put into this including a couple of OEM seat skins. This boat is the real deal right and tight, beautiful and in top pristine condition. Price is right don't miss this one..

• Baller
I recently repowered two 2010 SNs that had 5.7s. One has been my primary boat for several years with just over 1000 hours on the original engine. I didn't really need to repower it, but my mechanic had a deal on lightly used/refurbed 6L engines from PCM that I couldn't refuse. The other was a Florida ski school boat with about 2400 hours that was put through the paces. Since the repower, I have completely redone the upholstery and SeaDek with OEM replacements, replaced the muffler, most of the cables and the throttle control and added a carpet inlay from @Jody_Seal . If you don't look at the gel coat too close, its a nice boat with a nice and low overall cost. Oh, by the way, @eleeski bought both of the 5.7L engines for his ZO projects.

• Administrators
@Fam-man in my opinion the regular 6.0 is the ideal engine for the 200. I occasionally ski behind the stronger version of the 6.0 and do not like the pull as much.

• Baller

Hello Ballers. Here's the story on the 2014 SN200. It was purchased w/approx 800 hours late spring/early summer 2017 in order to provide my kids w/a practice boat similar to what they'd get at Nationals. My daughter made it clear she wanted to keep "her" boat (my 2007 SN w/6.0) instead because the 200 was "plain". About the same time she made this decree I had a buyer for the 800 hour 5.7 original engine. My opinion is the 6.0 is a better power plant for the 200, so I sold the 5.7 (replacing a GT40 w/5.7 CAT ended up being a pretty cool project) and lined up a 6.0 from PCM for the 200.

After finding what seemed to be the perfect FRE engine (2014 model, new exhaust/CAT system, new harnesses, new sensors and remanned engine) a purchase price was negotiated. Shortly thereafter a call was received from PCM telling me the engine was actually a ZR450. Having no experience w/the 450 I asked for some time to deliberate. At this point I called the one person I knew who has owned both and would shoot straight, @Jody Seal.

This was a pretty long conversation and all I kept hearing was the only negative of the 450 was price. Finally, I asked which engine he would buy if they were priced within $1K. His answer was the 450 and based on this I bought the 450. I'll take Jody's endorsement any day of the week. However, if a customer wants this boat w/a ZR6 409, I can make it happen.

As for my use of the word re-furbish in the description of the boat, I think it is correct @J2nh. Is it the most I've ever done to a boat, no. That distinction goes to Scott Ellis' former 2008 Ski Nautique which subsequently became Scott Byerly's slider before ending up at my shop (another really cool project). However, enough was done to where I feel re-furbished was warranted. Here's the rundown:

-Boat had dock rash on both sides. Nothing into the glass but the gel had some issues which required repair. Also the rubrail and SS insert were replaced, all graphics removed, hull sides sanded/buffed and graphics replaced.

-Engine, inlet hoses, exhaust hoses, muffler replaced (originals sold to the 2001 Sport customer).

-3 interior skins replaced: driver's seat back, loveseat skin, driver's seat flip up bun.

-Lavorsi throttle quad and handle replaced

-Steering wheel replaced

-windshield catch replaced

-all gas shocks replaced

-rudder trim tab replaced because I think the new brass one looks super cool

-one piece of Seadek replaced but I have all other pieces included if needed in the future

-removed the Garmin pucks and upgraded to the ECI single puck. @Horton my bet is the 450 boat you have skied behind had the Garmin's.

Basically I've gone through this boat and fixed or replaced everything which wasn't "like new". It turned out really nice and am very pleased to say my daughter now wants the boat. Unfortunately, her older sister is going to college in the fall so the '07 SN196 will continue to be our boat (unless I sell it too).

If any of you would like additional information please let me know. @WaterSkier12 and @Jody_Seal thank you for the nice comments. Ski well everyone!

Tim White