Ski Nautique 2019

skierjp

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@skierjp - Seadek says right on its website that the expected life is 5-7 years. (harshest conditions would be boats that sit outside) It is a known issue that any of the rubber padding products only last so long in the sun, so putting it on every flat surface is gonna be expensive when it fails (for the guy who buys your boat) For folks who flip boats every year or so it isn't an issue. In the case of my 2012 Malibu the swimdeck pad is shrinking - whatever mfg it is.

http://www.seadek.com/t-faq.aspx

What is the life expectancy?

In the harshest conditions, SeaDek can be expected to last 5-7 years. If the boat is covered and/or well taken care of, a longer life is likely.

• Baller
Like anything, Seadek is nice in moderation. I much prefer be able to go just fiberglass in our Prostar. I put down a couple thick bathroom mats to wipe the feet, then toss them in the washing machine when they get dirty. Love the low maintenance.

• Baller
I really like all the Seadek and can tell that the engineering and design of the boat was centered on how we use the boats. The Seadek will age and go down hill with age no doubt but durability will be proportional to the care given to the boat. The way I take care of things it would last a lifetime. For the people out there who will give these boats no care it will go downhill pretty fast, but so would carpet or anything else. At least it can be easily replaced(low labor.)

• Baller
@MuskokaKy the new boat is considered the 2019 model year. The 2018 model year is what was released and sold after last year nationals. A lot of the promos this year will still be 2018 year boats. Production of the 2019 model appears to be somewhat limited and most won't get the new one. I know our local promo got a 2018 boat for this year. I guess the new boat is really a 2018 and a half.

• Baller
@skierjp Does the 2019 have to qualify to pull Regionals and Nationals separately or will total tournaments pulled by 2018's and 2019's qualify them both? This may be addressed in the towboat policy manual, but I didn't look.

On the sea deck, I had to replace a damaged panel of that same brown on an earlier boat. The new panel stood out like sore thumb as all the other panels around it had faded a bit. Also, when I called the manufacturer at that time, they said you need to get all of it at the same time as it was manufactured as a part of the same lot. It can be like carpet....with slight different hue if purchased off different lots of raw material. Even if it looks the same new, different lots can weather at different rates. Red flag to me on that new ski Nautique. Who knows maybe they’ve improved their processes by now....

• Baller
OK, I will comment on the Seadek. The first boat that I owned that had it was the 2010 200. I have recently seen 2010's that have been taken care of with the Seadek in perfect condition, so I know eight years is not a problem if taken care of. Personally I am very happy that the carpet has been replaced with Seadek. People who know me would tell you the great lengths I go to in keeping carpet in my boats dry. If allowed to get wet, and the resultant smell, the carpet is the single item that makes a one-year-old promo boat not be the same as a brand new boat. I would always keep a bucket in the back of the boat and constantly nag the boat crews to pull the rope into the bucket, not the carpet if they had to pull the ropes in. (My strong preference was always rope swapping at the dock). You have no idea how much stinky lake water comes into the boat when ropes are constantly pulled in to the carpet. I would dump out a couple gallons from the bucket several times per day. Also, at around 8 lbs per gallon of water, wet carpet is heavy, with a quick rainstorm easily adding over a hundred lbs to the boat in the form of soaked carpet. It will be a welcome relief to me this year not having to worry about all of that!

• Baller
Hot sun seems to be the biggest issue with seadek over time. You see a lot more platforms being re-skinned than the rest of the boats which get more cover and protection in general. There will probably be a time when Carpet comes back in some new improved form. We have gone from rolled-glued vinyl to glued carpet to snap out carpet to SeaDek. I have had them all, each better than the previous.....I like the progress.

• Baller
@disland Nope, not a bit. I can't stand to see anyone's boat abused, regardless of who owns it. I treat every boat I drive in a tournament the same as mine, every boat I pull out I wipe down every time and cover. Most likely someone I know will end up buying all. (And I will likely be fixing something on them years down the road).

• Baller

I skied with someone that would use a shammy to dry themselves down and the stern before they would get in the boat every time they skied. They expected everyone to do the same, drove me nuts, water does not hurt fiberglass. I like to keep my boat clean and organized but it is a means to end not the end itself.

• Baller
@ntx thanks for the clarification. so 2018's were made in 2017 and 2019's are made in 2018...makes sense! so i can't get a 2018 made in 2018....i cant be the only one who thinks this is stupid. Not sure how calling it a 2019 is relevant or truthful...

• Baller
In response to @skiinxs comments about water in the carpet: We're on a private site and when we get through the boat goes on the lift and the cover goes on the boat. Wet carpet under a cover with engine heat creeping out is a recipe for mold and mildew. Wet skier never gets in the boat, drops at the dock. We never pull the rope into the boat. We idle to the dock trailing the rope and when we arrive we pull the rope onto the dock and let it drip while wiping down the boat. We finiish by swinging the rope to get most all the water out. Anal maybe, but dry carpet.

• Baller
@LeonL Yep, Same routine. At my lake, the rope never comes into the boat. It stays out as we come back to the dock and is then pulled in on the dock and hung on the dock. I like new boat smell (fiberglass resin curing) WAY more than stinky carpet smell (mold and mildew). If the carpet didn't extend under the gas tank and drivers seat where it never dries, it wouldn't get so stinky when wet. As @oldjeep mentioned, there is nothing wrong with snap-in carpet either.

• Baller
We have a 2012 Centurion and a 1998 Nautique. The Nautique stays on a lift on a public lake where you can’t help but get the carpet wet, I have never noticed mildew but it is frustrating getting in the boat and having the carpet still wet from the last time the boat got used. Now, we keep the centurion in a shed with a fan, so nothing is ever wet in the boat, but if anything was ever wet you just take a towel and dry it off... couldn’t be any easier

• Baller
I'm with @Andre. I started skiing as an offspring to boating. ITS A BOAT. it lives in water. We get caught in the rain. Drying the rope before bringing into the boat? Drying yourself before getting in the boat? Thats just slightly extreme. Anything you put on the floor is going to take some cleaning. i like carpet under my feet. If it gets soaked after getting caught in the rain, I'll wet vac and put a fan on it. With the snap-in, I'll take it out occassionally and hose it off, let it dry, put it back in. My old boat, I would hose out the whole inside with soap and water. ITS A BOAT.......enjoy it. Spray everything down with some Obex

• Baller
I’m with @ScottScott ...... Take care of your boat but use the darn thing...... It’s a Boat. Wipe it down, Vac it out, put a fan in it. I take dang good care of mine without being anal when others get in. I “do” try to keep dirty shoes out of it and most people know to board barefooted. Shorten the LIne and let’s go Get Wet!

• Baller
ScottScott your comments brought relief to me. Yesterday I had to ski in the rain, or more accurately in the interludes of drizzle between rain spells, and thought I might need to buy a new boat!

• Baller

If you're paying $80K for a new boat, the least the boat manufactures could do is put high quality snap in carpet that has been pre-shrunk.

If they are going to price the boats like a foreign luxury car, then build them like a foreign luxury car.

And use polypropylene carpet instead of nylon because it doesn't absorb water.

Sorry, I'll step off the soap box now. Oh yea, I'm one of those guys that likes carpet in a boat.

• Baller
@jlittle both Nautique and Mastercraft have reverse steering methods on their wake board/surf boats, they just don't offer the option on the ski boats for some reason. I'm assuming the cost on even a $100K boat adds too much....a little less noticeable on a $200K boat.

• Baller

@DW While I enjoy the challenge of backing and docking our prostar, and the occasional nautique I get to drive.... (and I do a pretty good job docking on either side....)

For those of us on public lakes, and are fortunate enough to have wife/girlfriends that can drive the course for us, then drive the boat onto a trailer......some back up assistance in a ski boat would be greatly appreciated...