New hour meter not counting hours?!

usaski1

• Baller
Swapped ECM for ZO, also added new tach/hour meter gauge. (Oem) The gauge reads 0.0 hours after first ski set sense changed meter. Is the ECM not communicating with the guage? Are the hours stored in the ECM, or the gauge?

• Baller
Why would the new gauge not show any hours? I half expected it to show xxx.x hours when I plugged it in. It's a digital readout. More puzzling than that, why would it not be counting new time? 0.0 hours after at least 1/2 hour of runtime...

• Baller
It's a Moomba OEM tachometer / hourmeter.. same plug, direct swap. I replaced it because the hour meter was blank. Has been for years. Got a new tach just to get the working hour meter... so far, just is lit up, and shows 0 hours.

• Baller

Couple thoughts - I agree with @bracemaker that you might need an extra cable or adapter to make it work with the OEM gauge.

I replaced my tach/hourmeter on my old nautique (the dreaded teleflex gauges) and I hooked the new meter up to a car battery to wind the hours on so it read the actual engine hours once I plugged it in.

My old nautique had the Ford GT40 block - awesome engine but it does not track hours, so if you ever buy a early 2000’s vintage boat with the GT40 you have trust the guy selling it to you is being honest about the hours as none with have the original gauge.

I bet your ZO gauge displays the hours coming from the engine - so atleast you know where your at for performing maintenance. My Stargazer PP has it, just not obvious how to navigate to it.

• Baller

@Jmoski The PP one you set the hours when you fire up the boat, which is nice if you have it and are having the computer scanned as you can punch it in then and eliminate the factory Tach/Hour instrument for PP.

@usaski1 - what year/model is the boat?

My guess, and I'll have to verify this off a moomba wiring diagram.

Hour meters on some boats work with the key on, that being they'd count over hours so long as the key was on - this was a problem when people wouldn't turn the key to aux or didn't turn it fully off.

To avoid this some meters will use a "running only" wiring, usually this means the gauge is provided switched power(often purple), tach feed signal(often grey), ground(often green/brown), and some 4th signal source such as oil pressure(yellow beige or....)

If that one isn't wired you'd still get lights and tach function. But hours wouldn't tick.

My experience has been that unless you have a digital display that includes an hour meter as one of its functions that the gauge is usually not communicating with the computer of the engine to coordinate its hours and that it is just a clock.

• Baller
Old hour meter was not working either... but it was just blanked out. it stopped a few years back.. assumed the screen just failed. when it stopped, the boat had about 350 hours... no clue now... boat is 08 Moomba Outback.

• Baller

@usaski1 check your voltage when running. I think it's low I did some research and the moomba gauge seems to be a beede. It should display a hourglass type logo to the left of the gauge when running.

This is a running only type gauge and appears to use voltage to determine if the engine is running.

I'd expect that it would count time if you turn ignition on while connected to a charger.

Check for any cause of low charge voltage condition. Battery should read 12 and a but when off and 14ish when running.

Hope this does it.

• Baller
still no dice... hooked up the charger to the battery, turned on, no indication it was counting time as no hour glass (dealer said today I should see an hourglass). Started boat with charger connected.. still nada...