Getting a 3 year old behind the boat?

• Baller
My daughter will turn 3 in the next few months and I hope to get her behind the boat once the water gets warmer. I just want her to have fun, feel comfortable on the water, and be as safe as possible. Any suggestions on the best methods and equipment to get started?

• Baller
If you are just wanting to get her behind the boat then yes sleds, tubes, etc. For my girls we actually have a waterski sled, kind of like the water ski trainer that my girls started on. Get the water ski trainer and just hold them right at the back of the boat and run the boat just in gear. Then just let her back gradually until she is comfortable all the way. Make sure someone is there to jump in the water to be ready to get her if she falls off. Have fun!

• Administrators

No matter what equipment or method you use I think the trick is your child has to see other child ski first. I coerced Buford Danger to ski a little bit last year but last week she asked me to go ski and that's how our more successful this year.

After @rico's skis Buford Danger wants to ski

• Baller

I hope to get my grandson behind the boat this year using @Bruce_Butterfield 's suggestions. I started him of last year when he was 1-1/2 years old on the carpet and grass. I think he's motivated, so I'm hoping for early success.

• Baller
I take all my numerous nieces and nephews up behind the boat when they are little by using 2 skis in chair pose with them on my lap. Dont let them hold handle, and keep there arms over yours so that when you stop you can hold them high. Almost all of them either ski(2) or wakeboard.

We did the U Shaped ski for our daughter at nearly 3 yrs old. We started on grass and then progressed to running with her across a few inch deep water with people on both sides of her to make sure she didn't fall. She absolutely loved it so the next step was me getting up on 2 skies and her in the middle when I got up. It was a great progression!

• Baller

We had my little guy behind the boat early into 3 yrs old, real two skis, Connelly cadets with the plastic bar but hanging onto handle for real, not attached to skis. Thought I was quite resourceful and it was easy , comfortable for kid and the real ski sensation.... PADDLEBOARD.... kid in water deep water position dad lying on stomach on paddle board holding second rope just slightly shorter than kid line. Picture dad on right side of kid with rope in right hand extended. Rope is tracking on the left side of the tip of paddleboard so the board wants to angle off right , not into kids path. Left hand on kids right heel.

Boat takes off , only has to go very slow and your left hand keeps skis in position so they don’t get dragged out the front , nor do the fall on butt as skis stay underneath them. Once on plane , you slowly let go and just keep hand close for support. Once up and balanced kids ha e no issues with the direct contact with boat.. then once it’s time for support bar to go , it’s just a simple hand on butt to get balance point. No expensive trainers or boards required. Progression process was very quick and comfort of being beside him was great for kid.....and nervous mom.

• Baller
Thanks for the input! I hadn't thought of grass or running along the shore. Those are probably great places to start. Also that think @WoodySkier posted seems like it might be money. Now I just have to find another kid that already skis to make her want to do it!

• Baller
I started with my kids in a tube riding with me when hey were 2 then moved to the skimmer pulling them on the beach at 3 followed by holding the rope behind the boat. By 4 they were riding the skimmer long line we pulled them right off the beach. They were both on skis by 5 long line we didn’t have a boom.