Worst Coaching Ever?

Horton

• Baller_

Pretty sure this was good advice upon arrival at ski school for my annual spring tune up: “Remember what I’ve been telling you for the last three years? Well, forget it. We’re not doing that anymore.”

I guess that makes the prior yesrs’ coaching some of “the worst.”

Lpskier

• Baller_
Most of the coaching that took place after I passed through the entrance gates. Thank you @AdamCord and @adamhcaldwell for opening my eyes as to what is a great gate setup and the profound difference it makes in how that corrects most everything after the entrance gates.

• Baller
A couple of years ago our club brought in a well known coach from Florida. When it was my turn he watched my first pass and told me I was going a bit flat into the wake offside to onside. I told him that I knew that and was hoping he could help me fix it. His tip was “Just don’t do it”. Wish I had thought of that, would have saved me $250.

• Baller

personally, the worst coaching -in my opinion -is where the coach spends any amount of time dwelling on what you're doing wrong. my reasoning is this: the odds are the thing you're doing wrong is not a conscious action its an automatic reaction to whats happening in the moment. typically this mistake can't be corrected by simply pointing it out without a positive action being coached to correct it. So why not just focus on coaching the correct action instead?

for example, instead of coaching ' you're separating from the handle too early", why not coach 'keep that handle as close to your hip as possible until you've passed the white water on the other side '? Providing a positive mark or goal to reach for is almost always far easier for the skier to envision and therefore embrace. again, imo.

• Baller
To expand on what @mwetskier was saying, this applies to all coaching. I've read where the brain doesn't understand negatives, so when you say "Don't Miss", or "Don't Fall"...the brain only hears and imagines missing and falling.

• Baller

We all have dumbs&&$ moment. At the last Nationals in Texas, as I always do, I checked my fin post flight. Fast forward i chose to run 35 in a strong tailwind so i can have a headwind 38. I had a good start, but got later and later a ever buoy, feeling fast at each turn and fought all the way to just going inside 6.

As i was walking down the shore i heard a rattle from my ski every step, I looked and my wing was flopping back and forth. I said out loud “you Dumb S$&@, you didn’t thighten the wing” i then wondering how i even ran what I did without killing myself.