Is the Price on the New Nautique Really that Crazy?

skinut

• Baller

I was perusing ski-it-again and saw an ad for at 2018 closed bow 200 with a 6.2 engine. The poster showed the invoice on the boat. It was about 97k. The starting price for a 2019 6.0 cb Ski Nautique is 105k. Granted the 200 had some nice upgrades that probably aren't included in the 2019 base price but there doesn't seem to be as big of a price discrepancy as I had initially thought.

I have a 2012 200 with the 6.0 that invoiced for around 77k(without trailer). That was 6 years ago. Based on some quick math the price has risen about 6% per year when comparing the 2019 SN at 105K.

• Administrators

@skinut it's my opinion that the smart boat buyer should get promo boats with a hundred fifty to two hundred hours on them. When you compare what the least expensive Nautique promo boat likely going to cost to the least expensive ProStar or Malibu the difference is at least $20,000.

Yes full disclosure I'm a Mastercraft guy and I do business with Mastercraft but my comments reflect what I think this is the reality of the market.

• Baller
@Horton If that is the case, and it may very well be, I think it will be a struggle for Nautique Promo guys to competitively price their boats. Couple that with the reports coming back about the wake for the new boat not any different than the existing 200. You have to wonder if Nautique has priced themselves out of the market.

• Baller

I priced out a prostar with the 6L engine and nicely equipped and MSRP is $118k, Base MSRP for the Ski Nautique (includes most options and 6.0) is $105k. When you actually price out these boats with MSRP the ProStar is actually MORE expensive. If you go to a dealer and price out a new SN and a new Prostar I'm betting the actual prices you can get will be very close.

Now if you are trying to compare the price of a used or promo prostar to a factory new SN from a dealer then yes of course there is going to be a discrepancy, but you're not comparing apples to apples.

• Baller

@WoodySkier Good point, once you add a trailer and H6 (apples comparison to the MC 6.2), retail could shake out similar.

The nice thing about the MC is the 5.7 still provides lots of power and one can delete a plethora of options to cut costs.

• Administrators
@WoodySkier MSRP is an interesting subject .... I am familiar with what people pay for promo boats but I'm really not in the loop on what people pay for a boat straight out of the dealership.

• Baller
@swc5150 I hope I don't ruffle any feathers, but the Prostar with the 5.7 is just a bit lacking on HP. With a short setup (our lake is a bit short on one end) it takes all the throttle to get up to speed barely before the greens at 36. Ski Nautique with the 5.3 does it much sooner. I can't comment on which prop each has. Not a hater, I like the Pro Star, just stating my observations. This is almost a hijack, I realize.

• Baller
Selling a boat to a hard core skier and the general public are two different sales. I have sold one of my promo boats to a tournament waterskier (they pre-ordered with minimal options). We don't need all the options skiing buoys early in the morning or on a private lake. But to the general family skier, they want all the options. They are hanging out in the boat all day on the lake and want all the comfort item like back seat, bow filler cushion, storage and a stereo (more speakers are better).

• Baller

@Horton I ski at Leon’s lake, it’s short but not uncomftably short... Our lake has a Centurion (5.7), 196 (5.7), and 2 200’s, one with a 5.7 one with a 5.3, none of these boats have any issue ever getting to 36 well before the 55’s.

That said, the prostar was the only boat at our tournament this weekend, the more I’m around that boat the more impressed I am

• Baller
Back to the price topic, the last sticker I saw on an MC was $99.8K, without a trailer. At $105+, the SN is higher for sure (and that's before trailer, too), but not by a huge margin. Of course, if there are fewer boats than the demand, there's probably no dealing... As has been stated here before, it's more advantageous for a manufacturer to sell a few high-profit boats than a few more with low margins.

• Baller
Nautique is the best driving and tracking boat on the market so this is the boat that is going to give the skier the most consistent pulls with a variety of drivers, few will argue that. It really depends on how important that is to the individual weighed up against the other factors. And then how much do you want to pay for the pleasure.

• Administrators
@nando if you are going to go buy a new BMW / Mercedes / whatever - would you walk on the lot and pay MSRP? I bet you would do the research and your final offer price would be substantially different from MSRP. The ProStar is not exactly an economy product but I think when you compare what wise buyers actually pay for boats you will find the ProStar more appealing.

• Baller_

We have a single puck. No issues with any 6 or 6.2. I know lots of tourney skiers who feel same about the 5.3.

I have been to an event where the chief driver took a 5.3 cc out of rotation due to not having the right ZO software in the boat.

• Baller
@MS just what year model was this 5.3 that got pulled? If my memory serves me correctly I installed Rev R in my boat in 2013. Every 5.3 SN produced should have come from the factory with Rev R.

• Baller_
2017 I believe. I wont say what promo boat (I am pretty sure its sold) it was but it has nothing to do with the Revisions. I guess it was engine vs which ZO software numbers are allowed for that engine type. May have been a ZO for a 5.7 but it was in a 5.3?