Always Check Yo Sh$t!

skinut

• Baller

I was skiing yesterday and was struggling to run 28 off. I felt like I couldn't slow the ski down and I was overshooting my gates. Last pass I shortened to 32 off. I put on my game face and was intent on running the pass. I pulled out, had a great turn in for the gates, set my edge, and away I went. Started my preturn after the second wake and felt the ski stop like it hit a log. Next thing I know I was somersaulting through the air at 50 mph. Made two complete flips before the water stopped me. Once I stopped I verified I still had all my bits and pieces and I could feel all of my extremities. Then I wondered WTH happened. After being picked up by the boat and retrieving my ski I noticed that my fin looked odd. On closer inspection I saw this..... Note to self, ALWAYS inspect your equipment before you ski.

• Baller
Also check your rope! Was at Swiss Ski school the other day with a "travelling rope". Driver said "that loop only has about 10 sets left on it and you will need a new rope". While in a hard lean to 4 ball at 38...Kaboom! Loop broke. Guess the driver was off by 9.5 passes!

• Baller

I had that happen to me once.

I was coming through the gates approaching one ball at 28 (or 32) off and it all happened so fast. I face planted into the lake right at ball one. My bell was rung really hard. Usually you have a split second to react before a fall, but this was being thrown face first into the water without any warning. There was blood in the water around my head, and the driver thought that I was serously injured. It was just my nose that was bleeding. After we realized it was just a bloody nose and I was not really hurt, we went looking at the equipment to see understand what happened. The culprit was the wing screw came lose like yours.

• Baller_

One of my ski partners said to me as I drove the boat, “Are you planning to ski with your handle like that?”. He showed me there were less than 20 strands left at the grommet. I got my backup handle instead. I hadn’t noticed it and I’m sure he helped me avoid a painful surprise.

wcpkrobctbi6.jpeg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Rope broke suddenly while pulling hard and sent me violently in the water.

It was late september and decided to use an old rope to finish the season.

Very next set,same thing happened...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller_
@dchristman, exactly. I should have seen it. My ski partner also said it must have been hit by a prop or some other sudden thing that got it to that point quickly. I’m usually fairly good about my equipment.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
So far at our club this year we’ve had a hand punch to the balls after a 12 year old rope break running deep short line, a lose wing, and 2 different Skier have their ski split between front and rear bindings. Moral of story is check your gear

Good call. The older I get the more checking I do..lol.

had a rope break on my up near the handle right in the post-turn and for whatever reason it was the most painful thing my hands have experienced skiing. Was like getting wacked over the fingers with a steel bar!

• Baller
I have no idea. I heard a girl broke hers in half just after I saw her on the dock and left the club. The other I witnessed as a spotter in the boat. Guy made a pass and said it felt weird. On the return run he bailed around 2 or 3 ball. Ski cracked in half between bindings. Didn’t separate fully in 2. It was definitely split. Crazy. Both skis were same brand. I’m reluctant to say which brand though. Was later told one could have been caused by airline damage but not sure if I believe it or not.

airline damage? Interesting.... Im guessing if an airline had damaged a ski enough to compromise its overall strength you would most certainly visually see something. Could only imagine "extreme" flexing of the ski or being run over could do it but surely it would leave some type of mark/evidence?

• Baller
I had a brand new handle do that to me in a run off for a spot to advance to the Nationals. Defective grommet had an sharp edge inside where you could not see it. Luckily I only got my feelings hurt. Casad apologized and gave me a new handle. It was not long after that I discovered In Tow!!

• Baller
Working on my ski today I noticed I had a bent wing on the side of the ski that I always have facing down while changing settings. Quick swap out and should be good to go. It could not be making any difference but you never know

• Baller

Saw a guy ski in italy a few yers ago.

He have had a long break from skiing but was a top skier.

He did a great amount of diffret flips the first run but complained about not getting enough hight. At the dock i saw that the ski was totally broken between the bindings....

He then run some slalom 36@39 off.

At the dock he told us the ski behavied a bit different. The wing was loos the front screw was missing. The fin was also bent and loose...

What a skier! But he might benefit from checking the material?

• Baller

Yep...always check your equipement.

About half the strands gone.

Good thing i have a new one stock at home!

Never reuse a retired handle.

Learned my lesson the hard way a couple of years ago...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!