2018 D3 EVO Mid Review Report

Horton

• Administrators

I have 8 practice rides and 7 tournament rides on the EVO. My best tournament score is 5 @ 38 and my best practice score is 2 @ 39.

2 @ 39 is generally my expected limit on any ski. So for sure the ski does not suck. I can run some 38s on most skis but it is never consistent. I ran a 38 today on the EVO were I screwed up at 2 or 3 and then was crazy early again at 6. The impresses the heck out of me. This ski works.

I have messed around with fin settings quite a bit and wasted a number for rides on settings that were a little out in left field. I am currently at 2.467 / 6.930 / .743 / 9 / Bindings at 29.75. I think these may be my final settings.

With these settings the ski is faster than any previous D3. Off Side turns have required me to be a tiny bit less aggressive and On side turns require maybe a little more front foot than some skis but the ski is very balanced and easy to ride.

• Administrators
This is settings dependent but much faster, way better on side, MAYBE needs a calmer approach to Off Side. The Off Side on the EVO is really good but it is different than the NRG. When I really understand it will be time to write the review.

• Baller

@Drago not sure why the dislike , he's on a 66" numbers are 2.465 / 6.928 / .755 with binding placed further back.

Not far off of Hortons numbers, he has skied with Paul Crawford a fair number of times at Sunset Ranch and it has always been suggested that he runs the bindings a little further back, but take the fin forward to compensate.

• Baller

Well after losing my CG fin to my ski partner, Craig I put a old straight D3 fin clamp and fin on my EVO to test out. The fin is the older D3 fin that has the holes to have the wing mounted lower on the fin. Right out of the box it felt great. Butter smooth symmetrical turns, lots of angle, speed and width. Easy on the body, not much work. Not as planted as the CG fin but close. 28,32,35off at 32.3mph. This ski just keeps getting better.

6.935tips 2.450 .758slot 7degrees bottom holes 30" front boot

Next time out I will change depth to 2.445 just to see?!

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
Oh wait, FedEx delivery manager says delivery failed AGAIN due to required signature and it happened to be the one minute nobody was home. How annoying is that? Is stolen skis that rampant of a problem D3?

• Baller
@jhughes thats FEDEX!! They will show up the exact same time tomorrow because that is the definition of insanity!!! But wait, then they will tell you to go pick it up at the local FEDEX outlet, and when you get there, they will inform you that it was returned to sender......love that co.

• Baller
I've never had good results with Fedex. When I order something and discover the shipper used Fedex, I Imediately wonder "what's gonna happen". They drop stuff at the next house down the road, they tell me where the put it and that doesn't jive with anything, they require a signature sometimes, other not. If they get here it's a different driver every time. Give me the Brown truck or just USPS.

• Baller
@LeonL I've had similar issue with Fedex. I talked to a rep they suggested I create an account and add direction to my house and upload pictures. Nothing changed, it must depend on the drivers. They'll get it right a few times then at times every package has problems.

• Baller
Had a few rides on the Evo and I like it so far (for reference I typically can get pretty deep into -32@34, -28 is probably a 75% pass, so barely dipping into the potential of any high-end ski). Seems more tame than the NRG while still retaining a fail-safe off-side turn, and is a bit livelier than the ARC (tried both last year). Kinda reminds me of my old '13 Quest. Really friendly and stable in general. Have not figured out how to turn it on the on-side yet at -28, though like almost every ski I try it's fine on both sides at 15 and 22. Seems like I'm on the back of the ski on the on-side and she just doesn't turn. 99.9% my technique as my hips are typically a bit further back on the off-side pull and into 2/4. NRG had more of a "miracle" onside turn as does my Rev6 (which is a turn machine on both sides, no fail) but the Evo is a bit more picky here. Hoping to fix this with technique so I'm not tweaking anything on the ski just yet.

• Baller

@jhughes ... The EVO requires forward pressure and LOVES it. The shorter the line gets the more it wants. Where as the NRG states it was designed for Neutral to Back skiers, the EVO was designed for Nate to run 43. So, the more you ski like Nate, the EVO will reward you. It is really a Great Ski and very fast, but really has to have forward COM to turn the onside and sustain cross course angle. I don't think any amount of tuning can change that.

• Baller

@skibrain... After many sets on the EVO, from short/deep to long/shallow, I finally put the same long/shallow settings, with the differential depth, that I used on the NRG. However, the biggest effect in making it turn, came from bindings one hole back and wing at 9 degrees. "HUGE" difference from 7 degrees to 9 degrees. That had the most effect of all.

• Baller
Boots are at 30". I look like I'm sitting in a chair (generally) from the wake out to the onside turn so I'm probably as far from front-foot-pressure as possible. About to give it another rip and will report back.

• Baller

Looks like @Horton is running the boots back and the wing jacked up as well based on the original post here. Had another set and almost ran my -28 but turn completion on both sides is not happening so I may try the bindings back at a minimum. Looking at the video is painful because I'm so, so squatty in my skiing. Maybe I'll fix that this summer because I can't even bear to look at these videos anymore!

• Baller

@LeonL ... One hole translates on most ski's to 1/8th of an inch. I use Micro-Just front and rear which is 1/10th" at a time. I moved the EVO as much as 1/4" back. That helped but the 9 degrees on the wing was the biggest improvement. Suggest both.

• Baller

@VONMAN .... Have moved on from the EVO. It was the easiest ski to run 28 and 32 off effortlessly, but at 35 off I could not get it to sustain cross course angle, no matter what settings I used. It wasn't the skis fault, it was that it required a lot more forward COM than I could provide. The NRG gains angle when I load it and so does the Vapor. So now I am testing the CG Fin on the NRG and Vapor, and I can already say, with only one set on each ski with the CG Fin, that it is for sure an improvement over the stock fin. Lots of settings and wings to test to get the best result over the next couple of weeks.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson - tried my wing at 9 last night on my 67 EVO after reading your posts. Definitely helped. I had been getting so much speed on my EVO swinging up on the boat with the wing at 7. 9 degrees didn't feel much slower until the ski was rolled way up on edge at the apex, then it felt like I just had more ski in the water and a tighter line. Didn't feel like more tip pressure, just more ski in the water along its whole length. Nice change. Thanks.

• Baller

I tried a hole back on bindings and 9 degree wing. Certainly a whole different ski. Comes through on 2/4 now, no problem. 15 and 22 were really smooth. Took me 4 cracks to run -28, but I did after just thinking about standing taller. First -28 of the year which is amazing since usually there's more than I could count by now. Slow start this year to be sure.

Though much more responsive in turns it doesn't seem homicidal like the NRG (which I thought wanted to kill me but at the same time ran balls like crazy).

So, looking pretty good. Can't wait for my next set to confirm these settings.

• Baller
Rode the 67 inch EVO this morning. I'm working in the 15-32 off range @34.2 mph. My two previous skis were D3, Fusion and Quest 45. Coming from those I felt there would be little adjustment to the EVO. Yep, felt right at home first time out. The EVO feels lighter and felt a little more nervous compared to the others. Cross course speed was very good providing lots of space before the ball. Ran back to back 28's which for me is very good especially on a new ski.Fin was set at factory setting and binding at 29 7/16. Going out tomorrow and if I duplicate this there will be a Fusion and Q45 for sale. haha

• Administrators

The EVO review is written. I just need to get pictures and edit a bit. The review took forever partly because switched from the 67 to the 66 mid way through.

No surprise I really really like the ski.