Am I the only one who wants a really basic really old skool graphics package?

escmanaze

• Baller

So I'm looking through boats, not because I can afford one, but just because I can't stop myself from looking, and it seems like every boat has some super fancy flake graphics or some super fancy solid color type package that will show waterspots from a mile away or some super dark graphics package that will show waterspots and be super hot in summer.

I find myself just wanting some classic old school graphics: Mostly white with a red or blue stripe or something real simple like that. Am I the only one left in the world who thinks this way?

• Baller
I think you can get most any color, but if you look for a used boat it's hard to find one that has basic colors without all the flake and such. My ski partner searched for a long time trying to find a 200 with reasonable colors. Why so many people order outlandish color combinations is beyond me.

• Baller

You are not alone, I was ecstatic to find and be able to recently purchase this 08 CC 196 with classic graphics and timeless colors.

vyjh6k7313yv.jpeg

Recently a friend was looking for a newer Malibu, he looked at used promo’s but nothing was appealing aesthetically. He ordered a white and black 2017 instead, a change from his two previous Malibu’s which were white and blue.

• Baller

Of the current big three, MC has IMO by far the best looking boat, with the nicest lines and most tasteful gelcoat options, and I'm a lifelong Malibu bigot.

Still think the three best-looking boats ever put to water are:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/asaysail/IMG_0251.jpg

wpid-7-125-40026560.jpg

mastercraft-prostar-197-202448.jpg

• Baller
Sorry, I guess I should clarify. Yes, I know I can order whatever from the factory, but my (future) eyes are on something used as I don't think I could ever afford to buy new. So particularly right now I'm looking at lots of 2014+ prostars. So many color combinations where I think to myself "sure, that's pretty, but it doesn't seem practical at all!!"

• Baller

I agree. Ever since the 200 I think the Nautique graphics have sucked. I wasn't even a big fan of the TSC3 swoop graphics. I LOVE the retro in your face large SKI NAUTIQUE graphics. It was one of my requirements when buying my TSC3.

I don't mind not being able to afford a new boat because I wouldn't want one anyway... One of the things I loved about tournament inboards was they were really unique and stood out on the water compared to a runabout. Now they look just like runabouts with some metal flake stuck on the side.

• Baller

I don't know, I don't think our Prostar looks anything like a basic runabout.

Lol, is this another thread about producing a "wish" boat that no one will buy? Kind of sounds like we're once again describing the CP? :smiley:

• Baller

@swc5150 I think in general folks like the advances in hull tech, engine tech, speed control, storage, etc, but as this stuff has come about, the aesthetics have gone from sleek and beautiful to looking like some designer handed a 4 year old these blocks and told him to make the shape of a boat. These boats used to look and feel luxurious. Now they just don't.

d761deaf401adfa26edb5eb625b96b5f.jpg

• Baller
@swc5150 I'm not at all asking for the boat to be any different. If I can afford it, I love what the Prostar offers me. I'm just saying that there's a certain elegance in simplicity and that there is attractiveness in functionality - something that doesn't bling you off the lake and doesn't show water spots like crazy and holds up really well over years of use. I'm just saying that I wish I saw a lot more boats out there with color schemes kinda like this and a lot fewer boats out there with color schemes like this or this. Don't get me wrong, those are really beautiful graphics, I just think there is a great loss of practicality in them.

• Baller
Funny we talk about this. My Malibu is Blue and white, simple. Someone got in it the other day and said man this feel like a comfortable living room with all the carpet and seat style (it is a 2009 LXi). He has a new Prostar. Although I do like them, they feel so loud and Jeepish to me. I own a Jeep, don’t want my boat to feel that way. Love the new MC’s and Malibus and will probably own one one of these days, but like the plush interior better. I do like the sparkle graphics on the new boats tho. Nautiques however, no thanks, not really a fan and way too much seadek....did I say wayyyyyy too much seadek? I think the new Prostar is a great choice, and you can find them in plain colors if you just keep your eyes out.

• Baller

@escmanaze Where's the picture of @Horton 's bumblebee boat?

Outrageous color schemes are nothing new. Stan's 08 MC is black??! I got a great deal on my orange and yellow American Skier in 79. We repainted it white.

My red and white 11 MC is tastefully understated. Classic that always looks good.

Eric

• Baller

Stickers come off really easy. Turning this:

er4v8ertctwa.jpg

Into this:

4uf9h0tjg6zy.jpg

Amazing how much ugly you can knock off a boat with a little adhesive remover - so there is hope for all those 200 owners out there ;)

As for the waterspots, the dark colors definitely encourage you to keep a good coat of wax on the boat.

• Baller

Good call on the early 00's Malibus (specifically when they did the 3-color stripe combined with the drip mold decals if I were to get specific). 01+ I guess.

I love the TSC1 boats with the contoured main stripe. Perfect looking boat. The 196 line following that also looked good but not quite as good as that TSC1 stripe did.

The new Prostars are certainly handsome and I also think the 200 has a "classic" shape to it and can look really good with either a strict color + white progressive package or a single color + white standard graphics treatment. Both boats will age well in the looks department.

Any of these boats start looking bonkers with lots of colors together.

I thought our club's 17 TXi was hideous last year but this year we got one in red, black, and white and it's gorgeous.

The new SN.... ugh. Still having a hard time with that one.

• Baller

the late model Malibu Sportster, easily one of the best looking tow boat ever made. simple 2 color gel.

http://www.tablerockboats.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/6311062_1501042578_2.jpg

the non-racing stripe 200s too.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Baller

I just bought this SN (gets delivered Saturday) and that was one of the things I loved about it. Clean, classic ...

r3nr309hf3xg.png

Simple Interior

usreo9pjr49k.png

Bad pics sorry ... just pulled them off the dealers site from the listing.

• Baller

I can't ever buy a ski boat with metal flake. I've spent far too much time ridiculing fishing family and friends for their fabulous "glitterboats."

That's a sharp TXI though. So much better than the current one.

• Baller

Gotta throw these into the mix.

Our 01SN with a 409 and ZO conversion

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/6810/photo1.jpg

The CCFan.com tribute boat. Classic look with a 409 and ZO

http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/4617/photo1.jpg