Nother 196 Q? Back seat rudder access

Killer

• Baller
on the 2001 you have no choice but to pull the gas tank. you can also pull out the center board in front of the tank, which will greatly increase your elbow room down in that black, god forsaken hole. on the plus side it will also give you a great opportunity to clean out the 17 years of accumulated crud in the bottom of your tank.

• Baller

You might be able to pull the center floor and get to it. I had a vertical tank in my 97 and that is how I got to the rudder. That tank looks like it makes the job much harder.

For sure try pulling the center floor piece and working under the tank before you remove it.

• Baller
@BrennanKMN -you can check the muffler for leaks and if all you have to do is replace a steering cable you *might* be able to do that without pulling the tank by undoing the sleeve nut and the connection bolt. but i can tell you from experience on the 2001 theres no way you can address the rudder itself and the speedos without pulling the tank. unless you are a very little person with very skinny arms and tiny hands, the the opening left under tank and around the exhaust is far to small to do all that. it would be exactly like trying to perform throat surgery on someone by going in through their butt hole (all due respect).

• Baller

@Drago I have to keep checking. Sometimes I feel it's warm others cold. Deoends on where im checking.

The factory speedo is long gone but the pilots and hose are still there which has me thinking it's a possibility.

I only get water when were underway too.

@Bruce_Butterfield I think I'm challenged by this fuel tank to take the muffler out too?? I assume the connection to the hull is interfered with as well by it?

I need to service the rudder anyways so might as well take it all out.

• Baller

@6balls my thinking too. Got the boat last year with under 200hrs but it sat a lot. Spark plugs were original, as were just about every other wear item, except fluids and impeller.

I assume everything else is original too so might as well go all in!

@LeonL I think you likely can; I can grab the hose from muffler to exit, but would undoubtedly be easier with tank out.

Good thing is it looks like the tank is not that complicated to remove